ISO question?

rené-naomi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few days ago, I let my niece play with my SLR camera (Canon AE-1). It had no film in it and I made sure she didn't break anything.

However, I failed to notice that she changed the ISO to 200. The next day I loaded my camera with 400 film. I've only taken about 4 shots with the ISO set at 200. Is there anyway I can change the film to 400 without ruining the film?

I don't remember the specific dial for ISO on that camera...but you should be able to change it without any problem. All it does is affect the automatic metering function. It doesn't change the actual operation of the camera.

....change the film?

Do you mean set the ISO to 400?

Leave the film in the camera. Set the ISO for 400. The first few shots will be over exposed by one stop.

-Pete

I don't remember the specific dial for ISO on that camera...but you should be able to change it without any problem. All it does is affect the automatic metering function. It doesn't change the actual operation of the camera.

Okay, thanks! I haven't used a SLR in a long time, so I wasn't too sure.

....change the film?

Do you mean set the ISO to 400?

Leave the film in the camera. Set the ISO for 400. The first few shots will be over exposed by one stop.

-Pete

Haha yeah, sorry. I meant change the ISO not the film. I figured my first few shots would be over exposed, but I wasn't sure about the rest of the film.

Sure.... Push the little silver button and rotate the ISO selector. The 4 shots will be exposed a stop differently when the film is developed; you might not even notice that they are a shade darker..

You could even leave it alone and just tell your photoshop (the actual place, not the program) that the film was exposed at ISO200 and they could fix it in processing..........but I suppose that most folks just drop it off at an auto processor and they probably wouldn't know what you are talking about..

Pushing film at much higher (or lower) ISO numbers than the rating used to be somewhat common and then you just developed the negative to compensate for the different exposure..

As Mike said, the cameras exposure settings have nothing to do with the film inside, only the way the camera exposes the film..........In this case, the difference is going to be very slight..

Most reactions

Back