Issue with Color noise @ 1000 Iso Canon 5D MarkII, 50mm f1.4, jpg.

elrafo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
el-rafo.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello there,

Here is a sample of a picture I did this WE, I have updated the Firmware of the camera to the 1.0.0.7 because I heard about some bending problems on the 5D.

It was shooten in JPG Large size, If you look on the background, on the dark Out of focus part of the picture, you can see clearly a strange noise problem with greens, and reds colors. I am not found of that , particularly for a 3,000$ camera...Is is normal??

here is a crop:
IMG_7097_crop.jpg

and full resolution:
http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/thephotoforum/IMG_7097.JPG

Are there some Canon users down here? do you think it is a normal issue with this condition of lighting ?

thanks!

Last edited:
oh a detail, there was a negative exposure bias value, do you think it can play a role there ?

oh thanks,

but do you know if there was earlier versions of the 5D that had troubles with high iso? was is only a firmware issue or hardware? I am affraid now to have a bad model :(

I never shot on a 5D before so I don't know. But I can tell you that sometime my picture at 1600 ISO is cleaner that a shot a 800 ISO just because I underexpose badly at 8000 like by a stop or so but then again, I don't know anything about the 5D.

If you have no noise reduction turned on, that's probably what it looks like.

Hey,

I had Standard NR I think... it is not enough ?

while playing with Digital Photo professional I found nice results with chroma NR, still, I don't like much this noise, maybe it is a normal issue but it looks like I miss some tones to blend close colors together.

I think in a crop that big, that's about how much noise you should expect. I mean when are you going to need to use the pictures at that size? Probably only when editing them and looking for noise. That's less noise than my 40d has at ISO 400!
P.S. I realized my post sounds nasty, but it's not supposed to be, I mean I do the same thing. I look at the pictures big, and then see the noise and freak out trying to get rid of it, but then I realize that you can't even see it unless I am viewing the pictures at like 100%. Oh and I also agree with slightly over exposing Jpegs so that the shadows don't have quite so much noise.

I'll bet there is significantly less noise if you shoot raw, but I haven't seen any side by side comparisons.It's probably worth looking into though.

That is actually a small amount of noise and it will not turn up in a print less than 3 feet wide. You are pixel peeping, so don't do that ;)

Also, Expose Right

Have you compared it to any other cameras in that ISO range? I think you will find that this is pretty clean.

Do we really need a HUGE out of focus jpg in this thread? Probably not (the crop is fine), how about you edit that out to save bandwidth and keep the site accessible for everyone.

5Dmii 'noise' is acceptable at ISO 2500, sometimes 3200 IME. Conditions such as light and temp will produce variable results. Please experiment a bit before your next review.

-Shea

oki oki I am too picky ;)
but I thought the 5D would do better a 1000 iso!

You should have went to a D700... lol

I know, that is unneeded rib poking (please don't take it as anything more).

I feel that this camera is better than most at over ISO 800 (though there are others out there that are cleaner) but perhaps your expectations are a little above what this camera can do?

Of course, a few things that you can do to reduce noise will help:

- you have to nail the exposure precisely.
- Underexpose and the darks will show much more noise.
- Overexpose and your brighter transitional areas will show increased noise.
- oversharpening brings out any noise that is in the picture, so sharpen only modestly at higher ISOs.

Don't be averse to using noise removal software, however you should be aware that as you increase ISO over 400, your dynamic range drops, as does contrast and saturation. The 5D does have issues with chroma noise that your pics do show, though. Chroma noise is that red/green pixelation and you can do a good job cleaning it up in post. Your profile does clearly state that you do not want anyone to edit your images, however I wanted you to see a before and after with noise reduction software. If you tell me to remove the examples, I will apologize and also take out the pictures immediately.

I used a small crop to show you a before/after below:

3210038995_0de341697e_o.jpg

3210039027_f905ec3e64_o.jpg

As you can tell, a good amount of it can be cleaned up, but you should also be aware that any and all noise removal programs will remove noise... but also remove detail, more as you increase the strength of the noise removal, as you can tell. The noise reduction downsides are more obvious here as we are applying them to an 8-bit JPG and not a 12 or 14-bit RAW file (you are working in 16-bit format files for best results, I hope?).

PS, in the future, PLEASE do not post full sized/resolution pics... its not considered very polite to anyone who doesn't have a fast internet access. You could have easily accomplished the task with a 100% crop of a section of your picture (thanks so much!).

Last edited:
Do we really need a HUGE out of focus jpg in this thread? Probably not (the crop is fine), how about you edit that out to save bandwidth and keep the site accessible for everyone.

5Dmii 'noise' is acceptable at ISO 2500, sometimes 3200 IME. Conditions such as light and temp will produce variable results. Please experiment a bit before your next review.

-Shea

you speak like a mod ;)

image reduced, sorry for the 21mp jpg ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back