What's new

Issues with Star Trails!

Proulxski

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, I believe this is my first post, pretty much ever.

I'm going to be heading up north at the end of the month, and I wanted to attempt to track the stars.

I watched this video here;

And followed all the steps. Using Light Room, and StarStax.

My first attempt, was really just a 'what the hell' give it a shot! Wasn't really trying hard, to make it beautiful, just more to get the technique down.

On my second attempt, I actually did try, while results are better, they are still dissapointing. Focus aside, I'm trying to figure out why my photo is looking like this; https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanrproulx/14438819218/

I wan't smooth, straight lines. The only thing I can think of his camera shake, and perhaps not taking the pictures quick enough after one-another.

I'm using a remote release, and setup on a tripod. Sadly I don't have the ability to lock it, so that it just keeps taking every ''30 seconds. Unless of course there is away on the 5D Mark iii. Any suggestions, and or insight?

Thanks alot in advance for the help :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You should try to purchase a timelapse remote. The shake is from pressing the shutter button I am assuming, make sure the remote you get has timelapse capabilities to take photos at intervals! This will continuously take photos and your hand will never touch the camera.

*I went back and reread this and realized you said you had a remote release, so your camera was never touched. But there is definitely some movement. Was it windy?
 
Oh, and having distance between stars is normal. They move very quickly, even with a 30sec exposure and a few second interval in between!
 
I have a wireless remote shutter release, so I don't even have to touch the camera. But I am on a shakey deck during these shots.

I don't have a timelapse one however. (to set it up in intervals).

Some spacing I understand, its more the zipper/jaggid type pattern that is upseting me, I feel there should be way more prominant/smooth lines.

Thanks for the insight, i'll look into the timelapse remote however.
 
You can get movement from a deck for sure! I think you will see both problems improved with an interval remote and by moving to solid ground. Good luck!
 
I suspect that the shaky deck is your main problem. A star trail always works best on a perfectly still surface because you will quickly be able to see any movement of the camera in the trails.
I'd say apart from the shakes you did fairly decent. If you could repeat this on a solid non-moving surface you should be able to get some nice trails.
 
The movement of the stars is from Earth's rotation on it's axis once every 24 hours.

The stars move is due to Earth's rotation. How quickly they move depends where on Earth you are and what part of the sky you are trying to photograph.
Earth's surface moves fastest at the equator and moves from from west to east. Earth's surface moves slowest at the poles.

So the time factor for making star trail exposures varies.
 
If you have the option enabled to have long-exposure noise reduction, then the first shot is always followed by a second shot of a dark frame, which is the same length of time as the original shot. While the camera is doing its dark frame, the sky is continuing to move. So if you want continuous trails, you'll need to turn that option off. However, then you may get more sensor noise showing up.
 
Thanks alot for all the information!

The weird thing is, I have long exposure noise reduction disabled. Ill take a look at it!
 
Last edited:
I personally wasn't, but yes, someone was. I'll look into it, and try it on more solid ground. Thanks for the insight!
 
To be honest this seems a little too consistent to be a shaky deck causing it. I can't think of a better explanation, but those breaks and dots are seriously uniform. Could just be me seeing patterns in things since I look at code all day -_-
 
Thats also what I thought, but its not a camera thing either, because I tried it on a 5D mark iii, and on a t2i. Two differ lenses. And its the same outcome.
 
I looked at it again and it does look like there is a pattern but I think it is vibrations in the deck. It waves then goes straight and then waves again. If someone is walking on the deck the vibrations would most likely go in waves like a drop of water in a smooth body of water then stop or like an earthquake where you feel the waves even though it was only one initial force making the vibrations. Or maybe I'm analyzing it too much. :)
 
Possibly, but I do believe your correct. I think the two main problems are perhaps i'm not taken the pictures in sync enough, and the steady ground.

If you look at the photo, you can see that not only are they not always in line, but its not continuous motion. Thats partly due because after the 30 second exposure, I have to click the button on my remote again, instead of these lock mechanisms, that will just auto start the next photo.

That, combined with an unsteady surface, is what is destroying them. Granted for these photos I wasn't going for beauty, was litterally shot in my backyard, to test, and see how it worked out. I think enough people provided valuable knowledge. I hope to test again with success before doing the real deal. But if not, well we hope for the best!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom