It feel so good!

What would you recommend?

• Total voters
I would say this except stating about the different "classes" of cameras.

You can compare specs all day long, but in comparing specs from what I see, the equivelant camera classes through all brands of cameras are similar enough not to matter. You certainly wouldn't say "gear doesn't matter" comparing a D40 and a whatever Canon topdog is (5DMarksomethingorother..) It's obvious a Canon Marksomething is going to be a much better camera similar to an XS vs. D700. Specs do matter in that respect when you want better ISO performance or something, of which you would be jumping to another class of camera rather than another brand.

Muscle memory doesn't matter, IMO. If I like the layout of Nikon, I am not going to like the layout of Canon from what I am seeing with looking at them. Ergonomically, with a Nikon (D40) in my hand, my finger was on the shutter and my thumb was on the wheel. My finger didn't move off the shutter to play around with any button. With Canon (XS) where is the wheel? It is right in front of the shutter (behind? can't quite remember now.) Finger has to leave the shutter to adjust settings. That does not make ergonomical sense to me, I want my finger on the shutter and ready at all times.

I started the thread asking about the similarities of cameras as you move up the line, which is what I would believe sparked this thread. I've sinced looked at images of the Nikon and Canon lineups. What I see is through the entire Nikon line, the wheel is on the back to be used with the thumb while the index finger stays on the shutter. With those that have 2 wheels, I see the back wheel and also the 2nd wheel on the front of the camera to be used with the middle finger while the index stays on the shutter. With the higher Canons, I still see the wheel up near the shutter so that you still have to remove your finger from the shutter or else it looks awkward to use.

That is the difference in ergonomics that I see and that I was wondering of when I started my thread. That to me is important. It has nothing to do with muscle memory. If you don't like one layout, you are still not going to like the layout even with muscle memory. If it doesn't make sense to you, muscle memory isn't going to change that. It still isn't going to make sense ergonomically.

That's my thoughts.

And.... good discussions here lately. I'm enjoying them.

I always have my finger on the trigger. I find it easier holding the grip with my ring and pinkey on the front and thumb on the back and using the middle finger and thumb to be able to adjust SS and aperture at the same time. Makes for very fast photos and your hand doesn't get as tired as using your last three fingers to grip so your thumb and index can be free.

I could use anything though.

Some some one who is shooting in dark conditions and wants and entry level camera is going to pick Nikon because of the feel and find out later that all of Canon's cameras in the last few years have CMOS sensors where entry level Nikons still use CCD sensors which aren't as good at hiding noise at high ISO's because some one told them to pick a camera because of how it felt and not on how it performed.

It reminds me of Harley. All their brochures I've seen want you to buy a bike based on how the wind feels in your face and how the freedom of the open road feels where as pretty much all the import manufactures push specs.

yes but your ignoring the fact that along with feel there is also stats and other advice also given to the person. Further if they were to outline their desire to do lots of dark environment photography then people would be able to say go for the canon because of the better ISOs - however if the OP does not state that then yes they might very well get bad advice and go for the wrong camera
You get out what you put in - put little in and get little or the wrong thing out

yes but your ignoring the fact that along with feel there is also stats and other advice also given to the person. Further if they were to outline their desire to do lots of dark environment photography then people would be able to say go for the canon because of the better ISOs - however if the OP does not state that then yes they might very well get bad advice and go for the wrong camera
You get out what you put in - put little in and get little or the wrong thing out

I think you've missed those "Go to the store and buy the one that feels best" post where that's all they recommend.

That's why there's I generally ask what a person plans on shooting. Like the Pentax fanatic that hops in every thread with "Personally, Pentax is the best solution" even when the OP states they want to shoot sports with fast AF and being able to shoot more than 2.5fps would be a lot more conducive to that shooting environment?

I'm not against any brand, but blind recommendations such as "buy this camera because it's what I use" or "buy whatever camera fits in your hand best" is crap for advice.

There's post like that all the time in the noob forums. Generally it's noobs recommending noobs by noob gear and you have people with experience (notice, not high post counts) saying how bad that advice is and everyone looks at them like they're funny.

true - but a lot of new people don't really know what they want in a camera anyway - so many just say something along the lines of:

"I want a DSLR to take pics of mostly everything and anything - I have some kids/pets also"

Ergo why a nice fitting DSLR and a 50mm f1.8 prime are often recomeneded - with that level of info its about all that can be used to separate the market out for such a user. Now of course many will try to get a bit more info out of the person - get them to elaborate a bit more.
And yes then you get people that just post "I have a ****** and its great" though unless things have changed a lot recently those sorts of posts appeared to mostly be in the minority (and certainly a few good posts tend to get made as well which read and sound more "professional"

If I like the layout of Nikon, I am not going to like the layout of Canon from what I am seeing with looking at them.

Use that camera long enough and no matter how familiar you are with Nikon's layout, you will shift over to Canon. Going off how a camera "feels" is just so limited in the long term its ridiculous. I would be more concerned with added features, accessories, cost and other things before I worried about how I gripped a body, and if my fingers would adjust to the new button layout. The first day with the D300 (bought sight unseen, unfelt) I thought to myself "Holy ****! This is ridonkulous!" - that lasted for all of two days.

Most reactions

Back