Thinking about sticking with DSLRs.

Did you stick with DSLR or switch to Mirrorless?

• DSLR

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mirrorless

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
I'll throw something else into the mix. If you're wanting a DSLR, Pentax K-1. 36mp full frame. Inexpensive, can't ask for better control placement. Some of the best weather sealing in the industry. It's not a super fast camera (autofocus is adequate for most things, buffer is small & card write is slow) but it's not intolerable. I do have cameras that are more capable & faster, but as a daily driver & certain types of photography it's my go to.

Reactions: pez
Hi guys, as my research into what Camera I should get next continues, I keep updating what I need for my use cases and budget. I shoot only stills at the moment, so video isn't really something I'm concerned with, and if I wanted to do video, I could just use my Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max.

1. I've considered changing to mirrorless. But I'm more hesitant to make the change. Reasons:
-I'm more used to DSLRs.
-Moving to mirrorless won't necessarily make my photos better.
-A guy named Luke Ayers has a channel on Youtube and he made some very good points.

2. Getting a newer DSLR will actually be cheaper. Considering the following:
-Canon 5D Mark IV Kit - I've found good deals on kits for less than 2500 USD.
-Canon 5D Mark III - Even cheaper, not sure how it compares to the newer Mark IV, but it is cheaper.
-Canon 1DX Mark 1 - These are pretty cheap too, and would probably be a good camera, but it would be the heaviest option.

3. The Reason for brand change is ergonomics feel much better to me than Nikon, that is a really important reason for me. The other reasons for the change is for Full Frame for the obvious benefits, easier to get subject isolation, less noise in general, etc etc.

So are any of you sticking with DSLRs and not switching?
Whether most of us say we're sticking with DSLRs or switching to mirrorless, how would that possibly affect YOUR decision?? Please tell us that you're not merely wanting to copy the majority!

Hi guys, as my research into what Camera I should get next continues, I keep updating what I need for my use cases and budget. I shoot only stills at the moment, so video isn't really something I'm concerned with, and if I wanted to do video, I could just use my Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max.

1. I've considered changing to mirrorless. But I'm more hesitant to make the change. Reasons:
-I'm more used to DSLRs.
-Moving to mirrorless won't necessarily make my photos better.
-A guy named Luke Ayers has a channel on Youtube and he made some very good points.

2. Getting a newer DSLR will actually be cheaper. Considering the following:
-Canon 5D Mark IV Kit - I've found good deals on kits for less than 2500 USD.
-Canon 5D Mark III - Even cheaper, not sure how it compares to the newer Mark IV, but it is cheaper.
-Canon 1DX Mark 1 - These are pretty cheap too, and would probably be a good camera, but it would be the heaviest option.

3. The Reason for brand change is ergonomics feel much better to me than Nikon, that is a really important reason for me. The other reasons for the change is for Full Frame for the obvious benefits, easier to get subject isolation, less noise in general, etc etc.

So are any of you sticking with DSLRs and not switching?
Years ago, I traded in my Sony A900 for the new mirrorless A7R. Although the new mirrorless camera had significantly more pixels and features, it's basic image quality was not that much better (ignoring file size), I could live with that however as I was making really big prints and wanted a big native file.
However, the A7R just didn't ever feel right in my hands as it was too small. I'm a fairly large guy and I found the body of the A7R too small to be comfy and confident in hand. I almost always use it with a battery grip just to make it bigger and give it a comfy feel.
Smaller and smaller is not the answer. That's fine for people with little hands but what about those of us with normal to big hands?

Let's talk about the case for mirrorless. Forget the industry arguments (about how the investment by Nikon/Canon is going to be in mirrorless and so that's where improvements will be in the future--because you're talking about what you buy NOW, not in 4 years). And forget "trends"--don't buy a mirrorless just because a lot of other people are buying them.

Mirrorless has a couple of advantages (that matter a lot to some people. For instance, if you MUST go smaller/lighter. Maybe you travel a lot and can only take one body and it has to fit in a carry-on with your clothes and laptop. Maybe you hike a lot and weight savings matter. Maybe you're aging or weaker and you can't support a DSLR body/lens. Okay, mirrorless makes a lot of sense--for those instances. Another argument for mirrorless is that there are some technical features (FPS, specific types of auto-focus) that you get with mirrorless that aren't available for DSLRs. But if you don't need to shoot 120 fps (that's the Z9 shooting jpegs), then that isn't that relevant to you. All of those things I've mentioned are real advantages but they don't apply to everyone.

To me, the single greatest advantage for mirrorless over DSLRs RIGHT NOW and applies to all shooters is this: by putting the lens closer to the sensor, you get a sharper picture (all other things being equal). And if you aren't using mirrorless lens (but instead an adaptor), then you lose that advantage.

To me, the single biggest disadvantage is battery life. I shoot a lot in the cold and/or at night. I suspect that for my Z6 I will need to take 3 batteries for what my D4 body would work with just 1 battery in the same conditions.

One other thought about your situation. Since you've got a lot of Nikon bodies, I suggest you either keep some and get a Nikon mirrorless (and share batteries). Or if your really love the ergonomics of Canon (and that's a very real argument--Canon and Nikon don't feel the same and the menus don't operate the same), then I suggest you prepare to move ALL of your Nikon DSLR stuff. Let me explain.

Right now, my 4 bodies take 3 types of memory cards (SD, CF, XQD--4 actually if we talk about the new CF Express cards). That's a hassle. At least 3 of the bodies all use the same batteries. But at least they're all compatible with lens, triggers, speed lights. If you're going to have multiple cameras, ideally they share batteries, memory cards, lens, wireless triggers, speed lights--the whole shebang. And that's going to be a problem if you keep a Nikon DSLR and get a Canon Mirrorless.

Now, if you switch from Nikon DSLR to Canon DSLR and it's based on the ergonomics (you've handled the Canons and shot a bit with them), then go for it. You'll certainly get some deals on DSLR stuff now. And there is nothing wrong with staying with DSLR. Unless you see a specific technology advantage from mirrorless (ie: you want to shoot 120 fps because you like to take photos of hummingbirds), or the other advantages I mentioned (weight, etc.), DSLR will work for you.

My first mirrorless was a used Fuji. Now several years later and a few more lenses :) This is mainly my vacation or walk around camera because of the weight.

I traded in my Canon 5DIII for the R6 last year. I bought the convertor to use my Canon lenses.

The local camera store has used cameras and lenses. I've gotten some great deals. They also rent and that would be a good option to try out a system to see if you want to make the switch.

I have used both and when I had chance to up grade I went with DSLR
If I am going light then I dig out my old 6ood canon

I have used both and when I had chance to up grade I went with DSLR
If I am going light then I dig out my old 6ood canon
My Canon 80D has a mirror-lock setting which allows me to enjoy the benefit of less twerk at exposure but it requires a little time and set-up. Great for moon shots. And, did you mean "going lite" ?

Going light, as in not taking too much kit and leaving the bigger heavier 5dmk4 at home

Thx for clearing that up. I know what you mean. I'm reminded that Ansel Adams carried his 8X10 up the mountains. Plural. That's a boss. In our defense, he would probably do with less like we do now too.

I'm going to throw another idea into the works. My D7100 + 200-500mm lens has gotten rather heavy to use (over 3kg in weight), as I get older. I still use it for action photography but I don't do a lot of action these days. So, I'm not using it every day. I decided upon a Nikon P950 bridge camera (weighs 1kg), with a range of 4.3-357mm (5.2 factor, equivalent to 24-2000mm). It's a great travel camera, I do a lot of birding so I get really close up shots for birds that are in trees, bushes, in water, not moving a lot. Been ideal for other things too. And not expensive compared to many other cameras. I've had it 3 years now and love it. Example image below, taken at full zoom. This bird was several meters away from where I was standing.
DSCN5482.jpg

I use both. I have a Nikon D850 for wildlife/action, and a Z6 (original) with a wide angle for landscapes. They both take pictures, but very differently from each other. If I jump to mirrorless for wildlife/action, I'd probably go with the newest Canons for their amazing AF tracking.

It's almost like asking what's better: a Ferrari or a Ford Ranger? The Ferrari? How about if I add that I want to move a refrigerator across town. Pretty easy decision based on need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back