Thinking about sticking with DSLRs.

Did you stick with DSLR or switch to Mirrorless?

• DSLR

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mirrorless

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, as my research into what Camera I should get next continues, I keep updating what I need for my use cases and budget. I shoot only stills at the moment, so video isn't really something I'm concerned with, and if I wanted to do video, I could just use my Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max.

1. I've considered changing to mirrorless. But I'm more hesitant to make the change. Reasons:
-I'm more used to DSLRs.
-Moving to mirrorless won't necessarily make my photos better.
-A guy named Luke Ayers has a channel on Youtube and he made some very good points.

2. Getting a newer DSLR will actually be cheaper. Considering the following:
-Canon 5D Mark IV Kit - I've found good deals on kits for less than 2500 USD.
-Canon 5D Mark III - Even cheaper, not sure how it compares to the newer Mark IV, but it is cheaper.
-Canon 1DX Mark 1 - These are pretty cheap too, and would probably be a good camera, but it would be the heaviest option.

3. The Reason for brand change is ergonomics feel much better to me than Nikon, that is a really important reason for me. The other reasons for the change is for Full Frame for the obvious benefits, easier to get subject isolation, less noise in general, etc etc.

So are any of you sticking with DSLRs and not switching?

Over-thinking this just a bit, perhaps? Buy both. You'll sleep better at night. I have both but still wake up snoring occasionally.

Over-thinking this just a bit, perhaps? Buy both. You'll sleep better at night. I have both but still wake up snoring occasionally.
I do have the habit of over thinking things when I have time on my hands. But this stems from wanting to purchase what I need and getting the best value and research everything to death.

Anyone who owns what you do shouldn't find more cameras cringeworthy--a Speed Graphic? Seriously...
Major makers are plainly mustering out DSLRs. It does mean, though, there are likely bargains at present and near future. No shame in trailing edge gear, especially since there's so much of it available. Go for Nikon FX DSLRs. Their MILC play came way late with a slowly evolving new lens roadmap. I switched to Fuji MILCs some years ago after a D7200 and a bag of G primes. I prefer lighter weight and less fuss. Also shoot APS-C fixed lens cameras: Fuji X-100T and Ricoh GR II which suit my style perfectly.

Simply put: the herd is moving to mirrorless. DSLRs? Drink-up!

I had this decision to make last year when the wife gave me the go ahead to upgrade my body. It's my personal opinion that camera makers are pushing mirrorless just so they can resell all the lenses that they already sold - or they are at least thrilled that they have the chance that people will replace their entire kit to fit the new a new mirrorless body. But that's just my opinion. Anyhow - I ended up sticking with the dslr and got a D850 which I must say...takes the most beautiful bloody photographs I have seen - RAW - just an amazing camera, but anyhow..... I researched the heck out of it, just as your are I assume. I cold not find a reason to justify the switch. Mirrorless dos not offer the caliber of improvemnts/features/whatever to justify abandoning a single lens reflex cameras and move to this relatively brand new technology. That's mu $0.02 and good luck!

Nothing wrong with sticking with dSLRs.
As you note, your $ goes farther. You can get some great deals if you shop around.
And dSLR gear will be with us for a long time, if not new, then on the used market.

Part of the decision is understanding the trade-offs.
For sports, I sill prefer my Nikon D7200 dSLR, but for many other things, I prefer my mirrorless Olympus EM1.
For me, with mirrorless, the ability to see when part of the image will "blow out" and to adjust the exposure in "difficult" lighting has been a tremendous help.

Nikon and Canon's mirrorless camera and lens landscape is still a "work in process."
Something that you have in dSLR may not yet exist in the mirrorless line. So you end up with a dSLR or dSLR lens anyway.

I am not really into chasing new gears, especially camera body. So I will still using my Canon 6D MK2 and the 7D MK1. If I wants to travel light, the Sony RX10 will be my choice.

I have had a D850 since it was available and it has served me very well. I made the decision to go mirrorless when Nikon made a better camera than the D850. The Z7 II is a small step up, but not enough for me to take the leap. I did leap when the Z9 came out. I use the Z9 for wildlife, especially birding, and sports. Basically when anything is in motion. I use the D850 for landscapes, portraits, macro photography and general purpose stuff. The Z9 has significantly increased my keeper rate because of EVF (you see your exposure right in the viewfinder with no guessing), IBIS, which all but eliminates camera shake, eye and vehicle tracking and a 20fps raw frame rate. If I wasn't a birder, the Z7 II would work fine for my kind of photography and it is smaller and lighter than the Z9, which has a built in grip. That's not much of a factor to me as I have grips on my D850, D800, and D500. What does make a difference is that I can use my f mount glass on the Z9 and I have about a dozen FF f mount lenses. Personally, I like the image quality and weather resistance of Nikon over Canon, but it's personal preference.

Well I’m just barely switching (kinda) to DSLR from film so probably not the best person to ask.

I will be with Pentax till my last shutter click.Over the course of the last 50 yrs I've accumulated some excellent legacy glass which thanks to the backward/forward compatiblity of Pentax i still use today. I have yet to exceed the capabilities or eganomics of the K1MII and K3II, muscle memory automatically guides my fingers to the controls. So barring a mechanical failure, I don't see me buying anything.

I dropped FX Nikon for Fuji years ago and have never regretted it. the switch wasn't for any sort of quality issues, but simply because I wanted something smaller and easier to drag around for portrait work. Fuji just happened to be what I felt offered the best in mirrorless cameras and lenses at the time. there are definitely a lot more mirrorless options now than when I switched, but even If I were shopping for a mirrorless system today I think I would still choose Fuji.

given your listed options and initial opinion however, it seems like you are heavily leaning toward an FX canon system. certainly not a bad option, but its a tough comparison because "plus" sides for mirrorless wouldn't be about picture quality or lens options at that level, but more about size and ergonomics. if you are sold on Canon ergonomics then there's really not much else to say on the matter.

I am glad I sold all my heavy Nikon gear a few years ago, not looked back since... :onthego:

Still have my Nikon D7200 and D5300 and use them often, but the last camera I purchased was an Olympus Em-5 Mark III. Much lighter than the Nikons with equal or better features. I got is primarily for travel, but find myself using it more and more for general photography. I doubt I would have moved to an APC or Full Frame Mirrorless. There is just not enough difference in weight.

I have both.

I love playing "uber photographer" with a large lens attached to a large body (1Ds).
but the one thing ALONE that makes me more in line with mirrorless is the adaptability of them to almost every lens made. (or at least 89% of them).

Mirrorless allows me to use all my old glass on modern imaging sensors and if the camera has IBIS, then my old age doesn't show as badly...

the choice is however yours.

I say go play with some and go from there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back