It has been a long time. HDR Northern Utah.

jjparson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. I have not been on this forum in a long time. I am working on honing my skills and really am not very good at HDR, but I think it is a lot of fun to mess around with and has the potential to produce some pretty cool results. This picture was taken in Northern Utah near a little town called Deweyville. This view is looking North towards the Idaho line which is about 40 miles from this spot. This was right before sunset. I like the view up the valley and that little cloud up in the sky.

Definitely welcome any feedback you may have and thanks for looking.

Deweyville, Utah looking North towards Malad, ID by 3$ Maddy, on Flickr

I will assume you used a tripod for your shots and therefore will just say if you had used a smaller aperture the foreground might have been in better focus. The out of focus greenery at the bottom I find distracting from the overall image which is pretty good. Nice atmosphere to it. I dont know what to say about the composition. It just seems a little off to me, but I cant describe why.

I did use a tripod for these. I shot it at F8 and agree that I could have used a smaller aperture to pull everything in better. I would definitely appreciate some tips on composition as I continue to struggle with this aspect of photography.

Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated.

I like it. The soft colors are really nice and a lot different from most of the HDRs (which typically seem to feature bright colors, nothing wrong with that). It's a refreshing change.

I will assume you used a tripod for your shots and therefore will just say if you had used a smaller aperture the foreground might have been in better focus. The out of focus greenery at the bottom I find distracting from the overall image which is pretty good. Nice atmosphere to it. I dont know what to say about the composition. It just seems a little off to me, but I cant describe why.

I feel the same way. I think it is the overall balance of the image. You have taller mountains on the right edge of the frame along side most of your foreground elements on the right side of the frame also. Its seems very right heavy too me. You signiture says it's ok to edit so I gave it a shot. I'm not usually a landscape shooter except with my phone.

I used a 6x7 horizontal crop to remove the right sided heaviness. Did a curves adjustment layer for the foreground, midground and sky.

7852031768_38ba8a77f3_c.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. The comment on composition makes sense. I really liked the look of that mountain on the far right. Next time I will try to figure out how to balance it with something on the left. I really appreciate the critique.

the problem with the composition for me is that it left me wanting to see more of the mountains to the right,s o it looks like they have been cropped off. Nice tones in the shot, I echo Bynx's comment about using a smaller aperture

Most reactions

New Topics

Back