It has begun! So, I'm transitioning to primarily film in a near future...

Did your rates just triple?

I wish but not at the moment lol. When I first started, being where I am now was out of reach. Well I have reached what I thought was impossible a few years ago so gotta keep on moving forward.

you sound like you know what you're doing and what you're doing sounds good.

I wish you all the luck!

I love film. Tried digital, no thanks. Painting didn't go away after film was invented. Film won't go away either.

Anyone can take a digital picture. I have met people who can barely tell one end of the camera from the other, yet making money with it. Doing film right takes talent.

Before people start getting offended, I'm not talking about anyone here. But if the shoe fits....

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Well I certainly don't want to start any drama LOL What people with their business is not really my business. I'm just excited for the next phase of my photography business. It hasn't been easy but I can now finally breath and enjoy the fruits of my labor :D

Well I certainly don't want to start any drama LOL What people with their business is not really my business. I'm just excited for the next phase of my photography business. It hasn't been easy but I can now finally breath and enjoy the fruits of my labor :D
Trust us, it isn't you. :allteeth:

Just curious of a couple of things since you seem to have researched your market.
  1. Why did you choose to transition to medium format? Why not go on up to a large format?
  2. Why Pentax 645. It's a great camera, that you can pickup at a bargain basement price, but there are other higher end models out there?
  3. Do you plan on doing your own processing at some point (at least B&W)?

Just curious of a couple of things since you seem to have researched your market.
  1. Why did you choose to transition to medium format? Why not go on up to a large format?
  2. Why Pentax 645. It's a great camera, that you can pickup at a bargain basement price, but there are other higher end models out there?
  3. Do you plan on doing your own processing at some point (at least B&W)?

1. I picked 6x45 size out of all the medium format sizes for several factors. It's more popular for one thing so lots of camera choices. You can get more out of a 120mm roll of film (16 vs 10 for a typical 6x7). The aspect ratio is closer to 35mm (not as close as 6x9 but close enough and you get more shots). Large format is somewhat impractical for my work since I shoot mostly weddings and a few portraits.

2. I was deciding between 3 camera brands: Contax, Mamiya, and Pentax. At the end, I went with the Pentax 645 system because it's more modern, more reliable, and better lens selection. Contax brand doesn't exist anymore and it's expensive to repair their cameras because of the lack of parts. Mamiya has manufacturing inconsistency and the quality is questionable so I don't want to deal getting a bad copy. I got the Pentax 645nii specifically because it's newer than the the original 645 and the 645n. There's virtually no difference between the 645n and the 645nii other than the mirror lock up function and some data imprinting on the actual film slides. The auto focus system is more accurate compare to the other brands. I mostly use manual focus but it's nice to have it. Audible focus confirmation is very usable for me especially in manual focus mode. I have an adapter for the camera to use Pentax 67 lenses, including the well known 90mm f2.8 and the 105 f2.4. The lenses are also compatible with Pentax digital medium format cameras, so it would be very practical if I ever want to add a digital MF camera to my tool box. I'm also planning to eventually add the Pentax 67ii to take advantage of the lenses at the native focal length.

3. At this time I'm not planning to process my own film. The modern professional labs are so consistent and all have great customer service. I can setup a color profile with all of the labs to maintain consistency on all my scanned negatives. So it's makes more business sense to outsource.

You can get more out of a 120mm roll of film

Been many moons since I fooled with film, what about the selection of film (120 or sheet), is that an issue? Or likely to become one in the future? I'm asking because I've toyed with the idea of getting back to film, and have looked at medium and large format.

I never processed color, but did a ton of B&W, which I found very satisfying, and and an integral part of the creative process.

I would like to add that you can get an adapter to use the Zeiss lenses made for Hasselblad too. EBay has them starting at $30-$35.

I'm not wholly familiar with the Pentax 645, does it have a focal plane shutter or does it use a leaf shutter in the lens? Having used a P6x7 extensively, if you're using those lenses (the 105 is a gem), then you must have a shutter on the body.

I only mention this because you can get some awesome Zeiss glass for the hassy cheap since you can use those with busted leaf shutters.

I use Metz flashes for events. You'll definitely need a good flash set up.

I love large format but you've nailed the right setup for what you're wanting to do. Go forth & conquer.

You can get more out of a 120mm roll of film

Been many moons since I fooled with film, what about the selection of film (120 or sheet), is that an issue? Or likely to become one in the future? I'm asking because I've toyed with the idea of getting back to film, and have looked at medium and large format.

As of now, Kodak and Fuji have no plans on discontinuing the Portra and Fuji Pro 400h series. They're just too popular especially medium format as a sizable high end wedding photographers are using them. Fuji actually is increasing the production because of demand. So I'd say the 120mm film will be around for at least the next 5-10 years.

I never processed color, but did a ton of B&W, which I found very satisfying, and and an integral part of the creative process.

If I have more time I would love to process my own film. Running a small business takes a lot of time so it's just more efficient for me to outsource.

I would like to add that you can get an adapter to use the Zeiss lenses made for Hasselblad too. EBay has them starting at $30-$35.

I'm not wholly familiar with the Pentax 645, does it have a focal plane shutter or does it use a leaf shutter in the lens? Having used a P6x7 extensively, if you're using those lenses (the 105 is a gem), then you must have a shutter on the body.

I only mention this because you can get some awesome Zeiss glass for the hassy cheap since you can use those with busted leaf shutters.

I use Metz flashes for events. You'll definitely need a good flash set up.

I love large format but you've nailed the right setup for what you're wanting to do. Go forth & conquer.

Thanks for the tip! The Pentax 645 series has focal plane shutter so I'll be on a look out for some cheap Zeiss glasses :D

Is this in the same vein as "it sounds better on vinyl"?

Most reactions

Back