It has begun! So, I'm transitioning to primarily film in a near future...

Exactly, he gets what he charges and can because of his talent, You will not become him shooting film. That's the point.

Where did I mention my skills will automatically jump just because I shoot film? I'm totally confused. LOL

The results you say you can get from film and cannot get with digital, even though a lot of photographers can get those same results with digital.
I assume you are not satisfied with the results you get from digital and so that's what I was referring to.

Did you even read my reasons why?

Not trying to offend anyone, just being realistic.

In my experience a good photographer, skilled in processing both film and digital can get the same level of quality with either method.
That's not to say all photographers can achieve this high level of quality with any medium they use as it's obvious some need to use film and some need to use digital to get the best results.

YMMV

I'm not offended. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

In any case. I wish you all the luck in the world. Godspeed.

Thanks!!

@Vtec44 I think I realize more of where your coming from. I was doing a lot of B&W back in the early 70's, so some of my memory of film has faded. Yesterday was playing around with Nik Collection trying to learn to use it, and discovered the emulate film button. When I clicked through the options it brought back memories of how much different each film was. Digital may get really close, but there are things film still hold an advantage on.

Exactly, he gets what he charges and can because of his talent, You will not become him shooting film. That's the point.

Where did I mention my skills will automatically jump just because I shoot film? I'm totally confused. LOL

The results you say you can get from film and cannot get with digital, even though a lot of photographers can get those same results with digital.
I assume you are not satisfied with the results you get from digital and so that's what I was referring to.

In my experience a good photographer, skilled in processing both film and digital can get the same level of quality with either method.
That's not to say all photographers can achieve this high level of quality with any medium they use as it's obvious some need to use film and some need to use digital to get the best results.

YMMV

Thanks!!

Don't be confused, you said skin tones are more pleasant looking to you when you shoot film. To me that is a shortcoming in your ability to get the skin tones you seek in digital.

And while I did read your reasons, or rather what you believe are the reasons, I do not agree that you are 100% correct in your assessment of the digital format or of it's total capabilities in the hands of a master which leads me to believe you need to work on your personal level of expertise by continuing to practice.

It hasn't been easy but I can now finally breath (sp) and enjoy the fruits of my labor :D

Never feel like it's time to reap the rewards of what you have accomplished so far, that's a recipe for stagnation and decline rather than improvement.

We have that in common at least. :)

YMMV

Thanks!!

Don't be confused, you said skin tones are more pleasant looking to you when you shoot film. To me that is a shortcoming in your ability to get the skin tones you seek in digital.

And while I did read your reasons, or rather what you believe are the reasons, I do not agree that you are 100% correct in your assessment of the digital format or of it's total capabilities in the hands of a master which leads me to believe you need to work on your personal level of expertise by continuing to practice.

It hasn't been easy but I can now finally breath (sp) and enjoy the fruits of my labor :D

Never feel like it's time to reap the rewards of what you have accomplished so far, that's a recipe for stagnation and decline rather than improvement.

He's posted a bunch of photos in the last couple months showing off the tones that he likes from his film. Maybe you could take a look at some of those photos, and then show us how you might post-process to get it to match those tones. I'd really like to see your workflow for something like that, since you seem to be an expert on these things. That's what makes these forums great...pros sharing their secrets occasionally.

He's posted a bunch of photos in the last couple months showing off the tones that he likes from his film. Maybe you could take a look at some of those photos, and then show us how you might post-process to get it to match those tones. I'd really like to see your workflow for something like that, since you seem to be an expert on these things. That's what makes these forums great...pros sharing their secrets occasionally.
Perhaps I will do that someday when I have the time, but there are a lot of sources on the net to show you a lot of the things I do already, the information is already out there and anything I add will most likely be just duplicating already available information since software that is available for anyone to use can do the same things in different ways, no proprietary software that I created is needed although it does make it quicker.
Demonstrating the software I made for my own workflow will not help in any way as it is not available to the general public and not for sale.

Use google or bing, they are your friends to help do things you want to with software you buy.

Perhaps I will do that someday when I have the time, but there are a lot of sources on the net to show you a lot of the things I do already, the information is already out there and anything I add will most likely be just duplicating already available information since software that is available for anyone to use can do the same things in different ways, no proprietary software that I created is needed although it does make it quicker.
Demonstrating the software I made for my own workflow will not help in any way as it is not available to the general public and not for sale.

Use google or bing, they are your friends to help do things you want to with software you buy.
As they say, "The proof is in the pudding". I for one am very interested in someone who has the means to create custom software, even if it's not something I can access, and even more so, to see the quality of the results it produces.

Why would I spend time trying to get digital skin tone to match film, when I can just shoot film? I can match it pretty well, by why waste time when you can just get it right in 1 shot? LOL

I shoot both, I edit both, people pay me to do both. I post my work regularly. I've edited over 400,000 of my own photos in the last 4 years alone. Gotta love forum trolls who have nothing to show. There seem to be at least one a year who just pop up with nothing to show for but somehow is an expert. LOL

Guess what, I enjoy the fruits of my labor all the time.

Post up some of your amazing work, or sit down and learn from other people.

Last edited:

6bZMF.png

For clarities purposes a formerly banned user has just been banned and removed from the site for ban evasion and general trolling of the site.

Was starting to suspect he/she was a reincarnation of a certain previous user with multiple personalities.

Most reactions

Back