It's amazing how big a difference light makes

This two photographs do a nice job of showing what the difference in light can do, especially over a short amount of time.

The second photo has an issue though. The yucca plant in the foreground is too light/bright and draws attention away from the background, which is what I am assuming you are mostly interested in.
So, some kind of editing is necessary in my opinion.

The thread title made me laugh and say "no sh*t sherlock"...

nothing else to add, decent photo. Nice colors.

p!nK

This is the beginners forum. A little bit more respect for those who are trying to learn would make this a better place.

I wouldn't take it seriously..

He's kinda right, capturing the light is all there is to photography.

On the other hand though, seeing a great example of the idea gives a lot of people a mental bookmark to pay more attention to the light conditions next time they're out taking pictures. I could imagine someone taking pictures during a cloudy sunset and remembering reading this thread, then applying the knowledge. This is a good thing

This is the beginners forum. A little bit more respect for those who are trying to learn would make this a better place.

Ohh dear.. forgot about the sensitivity police being on patrol. Thanks for taking the time to post that and set me straight.

p!nK

Ohh dear.. forgot about the sensitivity police being on patrol. Thanks for taking the time to post that and set me straight.
Well, the alternative to that comment was: "Judging by the photos you've posted on TPF so far, you're not qualified to 'no sh*t sherlock' anybody". (And THAT's a 'no sh*t sherlock' moment.)

Last edited:
Before anything else light is the first thing to master if you want to be a good photographer. Nice comparison.

I should have stated in my first post that the main thing I was trying to do was show a comparison. I know the second one could still use some work, but it was one of those "holy sh*t" moments while I was driving to a planned destination.

Amazing example of the difference in light. Am I reading it correctly that the shots were done at about the same time and the difference was only the cloud cover?

That's correct! They were only taken 4 minutes apart. And just a few seconds after I got this, I was back under cloud cover.

One of the benefits I have had of joining a local photography club with many professional members, is to be exposed to the thinking behind the creation of many beautiful and stunning images. I have tended to be a snapshooter - see somthing, grab the camera, snap the image. That can give good results, if you get lucky, and your technical stuff is good. But what distinguishes the really good from the merely OK (use the appropriate analogy of men/boys, women/girls, pros/duffers, at per your inclination), is the careful planning and timing.

You're heard the phrase "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration". Well it applies here as well. The good photographer would notice a scene with potential, and would come back numerous times under various conditions, and perhaps with varying vantage points, until everything was just right (the light angle and colour, the atmospherics, the surroundings, etc.). Then, by judicious use of tools (appropriate shutter/f-stop combination, lens, filter(s), etc), he or she would squeeze the maximum impact out of the image. The same applied if it was a street scene, or a nature shot, or a landscape.

One photographer told me that he found a scene with incredible potential while travelling, and stayed at that spot for FOUR days until he finally got the conditions just right. He told me he was getting increasingly worried as he had a flight to catch, and the final image gave him a half-hour window to do so. But the image he captured was almost surreal in how gorgeous it looked.

It really is all about the light. Good painters understand this. So do good photographers. Too many of the rest of us are in too much of a hurry and miss the big picture (pardon the pun). So to the original poster, thanks for posting this reminder.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back