It's cold out there

billjeff2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've just gotten my first digital SLR right around the time the weather has gotten much colder where I am. Since I want to be able to go out and take photos without harming my camera, can someone give me the basics rules and guidelines on shooting photos in the cold?

Thanks

Camera batteries run on heat, if it runs out of battery take it out and put it in your pocket for 5 minutes. That's about all i know :thumbup:

thanks, that's a good point, but I doubt I'll be out in the cold for that long!

1) Wear suitable clothing.
2) Bring extra battery + grip (if you have one)
3) Watch the time because there are less sunlight in winter. This means that sunset will be earlier etc.

Going from cold to warm and humid causes condensation. Put your camea in a ziplock bag before you go back inside.

As mentioned the batteries are the main concern because the cold shortens how long they will work.

I made a bunch of exposures to make the following sunset HDR with a D90 when the temperature with wind chill was -15°. I was outside about an hour.

OnlineHDRSunset.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. The advice on humidity and condensation is what I was most worried about. How long do you suggest keeping the camera in the ziplock once I'm inside?

i'm a beginner to, and even if it's short answers, thanks for the tips :)

In most cases about an hour or so inside will get rid of the condensation problem. Don't forget you can get the same issue in the summer going from air conditioned inside to a hot steamy outside. I've ruined a few shots trying to get something real quick with lenses fogged up at over 100 degrees outside.

Thanks! I didn't even think about how the problem could present itself in summer.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are in LA, you don't really have to worry about moisture. LA isn't THAT cold either, so your battery should function just fine.

Condensation issue is when the camera is cold and brought into a hot humid environment. For example, from an A/C room into outdoor in the summer.
Li-on batteries will function below freezing point, to about -10C or something. Unless you are in some extreme climate, there's nothing to worry about.

That's true, but I do visit our mountain resorts where it does get cold!

Most reactions

Back