It’s finally happened: Canon opens up its RF-mount to Sigma and Tamron lenses

DigiFilm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, this is interesting. Canon has finally figured out what an expanded lens stable means. APS-C only for the time being, but I'd be willing to bet FF is added before the end of the year.

Wonderful news! I currently use Sigma and Tamron EF lenses with a mount adapter on my R7. I might be tempted to buy a dedicated RF lens if Tamron comes out with an 18-400mm RF. Then I'll keep my EF lenses with my 90D and use that to teach my gandkids about photography.

I'm a Sony shooter, and one of the main reasons I gravitated towards Sony was the vast lens stable. It'll be interesting to see if Canon dives into the deep end and how quickly they accelerate this. It is certainly going to make it more difficult for Sony to achieve top dog status across the board.

That is great news!
Hopefully, as you say, the fullframe mount information will become known as well; or the 3rd parties will find enough in the crop sensor mount to make it work for fullframe as well.

I've loads of bits of glass from different manufacturers; sometimes canon doesn't even make a lens in a specific role or slot that a 3rd party covers. Or Canon makes one but its an L or top tier high priced lens whilst a 3rd party might make an optically decent much cheaper version. Sometimes you just need that 3rd party to provide something different and Canon can't make everything for every budget.

I'm lucky right now as everything I've got is EF/EFS so it all works with the adaptor, but knowing that Sigma, Tamron and Canon are now all going to start working with the R mounts that's great news for me. Fingers crossed for the fullframe market as well.

Looks like Canon wants to keep its monopoly on full-frame lenses as the planned Tamron and Sigma releases are all for crop sensor cameras.

Looks like Canon wants to keep its monopoly on full-frame lenses as the planned Tamron and Sigma releases are all for crop sensor cameras.
Right, that was discussed above. But it's only been 30 days, I wouldn't expect to see them expand into FF (if they do) for a year.

I would not hold your breath, for Canon to open the FF RF mount to 3rd party lens makers.

Based on history. Look at the Canon dSLR lenses.
Canon (and Nikon) have treated their APS-C line as 2nd class cameras. With mostly consumer targeted lenses, and very few GOOD APS-C lenses. So if Canon has the same plan for RF-S / APS-C, there is very little for them to loose by opening the RF-S cameras to 3rd party lens companies. Cuz Canon would probably not make those lenses anyway.

I would not hold your breath, for Canon to open the FF RF mount to 3rd party lens makers.

Based on history. Look at the Canon dSLR lenses.
Canon (and Nikon) have treated their APS-C line as 2nd class cameras. With mostly consumer targeted lenses, and very few GOOD APS-C lenses. So if Canon has the same plan for RF-S / APS-C, there is very little for them to loose by opening the RF-S cameras to 3rd party lens companies. Cuz Canon would probably not make those lenses anyway.
Times have changed, the market is ever-shrinking. Canon is hopefully going to be more open to these kinds of things than they've been historically.

And when people cite 3rd party compatibility for a reason they chose Sony or Nikon over Canon that starts to become something Canon has to consider. On some level you just need people buying into your system. If that means opening up to 3rd parties then so be it. At least you've got those customers and then you can slowly convince them that your premium L lenses are better than the 3rd party so sure you've got a nice 3rd party lens but now's time to save for your shiny L

Good news for Canon users. It would obviously be a nice option to have high performance glass without the need for a high performance wallet. ✅

Times have changed, the market is ever-shrinking. Canon is hopefully going to be more open to these kinds of things than they've been historically.
That is unlikely. It is because the "market is ever-shrinking" that Canon has been so closed. Canon wants to ring every penny out of the market that it can. It is possible that they are only opening up the mount to avoid anti-monopoly legal problems in some areas of the world. Always keep in mind that these are not "western" companies. We need to be polite, but vocal about what we want as consumers.

I don't feel the other companies are really all that different in this regard.

I decided not to support these proprietory monopolistic practises and go to MFT and L mount first chance I get. I am not demanding I only need 2 lenses and they have them.

Canon's been like this for a while. Sony learned their lesson with the Betamax, and Apple almost did the same thing with computers, but they found a way around it.

In any event, only time will tell. This is clearly dipping their toe in the water. If it's successful they'll probably expand. Canon doesn't care how they make their money, as long as they make it.

Part of the issue is that they've often had things like camera bodies as lower profit items with the idea that they'd then make profit off the users with accessories, lenses and so forth. So when 3rd parties come along they eat into the profits directly if customers are buying just the camera body.

So it takes a while for firms to realise that tapping into that market is still valid; can still generate some profit and that many iwll still go with own brand so long as your own brand are well made.

Also Apple never learned their lesson- they STILL get caught trying to shut down 3rd party repair work and parts on their phones

Most reactions

New Topics

Back