Its funny how in the year 2008 we still hold public displays of explosions.

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure everyone is probably getting sick of seeing fireworks photos (and from what i read in another thread, nobody really likes them) but i just thought i'd put a couple i took at a public display on the 4th up here for some C&C. Thanks!
2638521217_82a8cdd9e6.jpg

2639336162_d486c54be1_b.jpg

The best fireworks captures I've seen in a very, very long time. Images like these are what has made my in-person experiences watching fireworks a disappointment after another (they are never as visually arresting as in the images). Can you share some of the technical details? What did you do in #2 do to light the spectators without violently overexposing the fireworks?

wow, thanks, that really means a lot to me.
I think there were a number of factors that came into play in that photo. the fact that it was only a few bursts helped to avoid making it look like a cluster of bright streaks all lumped together. I may have had the shutter open for a few seconds before these fireworks exploded, and remember that each explosion is another "flash" to light the people/ground. In the original image, the people arent as well-lit, so in post processing, I brought up the shadows a bit and then brought the highs (fireworks) down so that you could still see the ground without the fireworks being over exposed. I think thats about all . thanks for your comment

Wow, very nice. Neat idea getting the people and surrounding scenery in the shot... usually that's kind of avoided so this is a very neat effect. I love the pink outline on everything in the first one.

Based upon a question you answered for me in another thread... (if I can ask) what aperature were these taken at?

The second picture is awesome. I agree with manaheim adding the crowd into the shot really ties it together. I second the aperture inquiry, also what shutter speed? Thanks for sharing.

Outstanding -- especially number 2. Thanks for a new approach to firework photography.

Wow! number one is just amazing. Well they both are but i really like number one

to answer your questions-
these were shot at 13 and 19 seconds respectively (remote trigger on bulb mode)
at f/10 aperture

thanks for all the comments!

Very nice! I never get tired of seeing fireworks photos, especially when there's still some color left in the sky. I like them, so there must be some grouchy people here. :)

Most reactions

Back