Its funny how photography changes your view of life

zedin

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While I have noticed it before for some reason tonight was a bit more noticable. What I am talking about is how photography tends to make you look not only at the world a bit differently but life as well. I find that ever since I took up photography I am noticing more and more the subtle details in the world that are often overlooked as we rush about. How the smallest changes in light can paint a drastically different picture and how no scene is ever the same from moment to moment.

I guess its not too supprising that this for me at least translated over into how I look at life. So often we find ourselves either hurrying to make a goal or stuck in a rut. Its funny how that we really don't take the time to really see life in all its moments. In much the same way I might sit and view a scene as the light changes over it knowing this exact view will never happen again I find myself realizing that no matter how mundane the experience I am having in life it will only happen that once and never again in the same way. I find myself finding fun and enjoyment in more aspects of life as well as I an much more aware of those tiny moments that tend to get lost. All it took was a camera and the willingness to slow down. =)

Looking at the world that way also makes you wish you had a camera all the time, in hand even.

I sat drinking a coffee this morning with my camera bag at my feet. As I enjoyed my coffee I noticed a large bird having a bath in a nearby fountain, but I couldn't be bring myself to put down the coffee, change lenses and go through the simple motions requried to try to get the shot in time. After the bath the bird flew off to a nearby tree and perched next to one of its peers, where it proceeded to shake itself dry like a shaggy dog, much to the disgust of the bird next to it. Oh to go back in time and take that shot..

i definitely agree! i just started photo pretty recently. an i've noticed that i've been noticing more of the little things in life. i've had a lot of those "wow that'd be a great pic! i wish i had my camera right now!" moments. it's just helped me to stop and think more and enjoy the things around me.

I have always loved to take pictures and i have always tried to "see" thinks. I know how we all get rushing to go or do and miss many things to see. But now that i have gotten really into photography i also look at the world different, i always feel like i am looking through the camera...."wow what a great shot" etc. I too wish i always had my camera. In the house though, my small camera is ALWAYS handy, with 1 toddler and 1 baby around i dont miss many shots.

I notice I see everything in photoframes and everytime I see something I haven't been able to photograph (since I don't have the proper camera with me or it's gone too fast) I say 'missed photo.'

odd question. you can't really apply that to everyone though, as each person takes their abilities and opportunities to a different level. one person might use photography to make a difference in the world by influencing others to donate to other countries, like tom stoddart for instance. others might use photography to just take snapshots and leave it at that. In general though, I feel that photography really helps us to open our eyes more to see the world in a different perspective and view life in a way we never would have done before. we pay close attention to things that otherwise we would have simply ignored. This in the end helps us to take a more active role in showing what we see to others. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'better people', but overall I would say yes, photography does help us to be better people.

I also noticed that once i started taking a huge interest in photography I found it very difficult to watch movies without noticing the amazing
cinematography and getting more and more ideas... sometimes losing track of the movie itself!

I love photography and get so much out of it but i have to say sometimes I will miss an intire event because i have spent the whole time with a camera to my face. Litteraly when i go to events I find myself making the decision "capture or live this moment"

but... on another note, the camera is a WONDERFUL tool to get through a boring or awkward or painful evening sometimes!

n---->:greenpbl:

I tend to appreciated the things around me more because I'm also looking for a photo. When I get really lost in a movie I will start thinking about how to compose a picture to capture that scence or moment, and then I realize its a movie.

I find myself always looking at "the small picture". I look at a scene and my mind is picking it apart into tiny segments - looking for the art, the emotion, the irony, the whatever-it-is in the scene that would make a great shot. I once read about a photography instructor who took a class on a field trip. He dropped his camera bag on the ground and said we're not leaving this spot until everyone takes 10 great shots from right here. Great photo-ops are all around us, we just have to look in a different way to find them.
I sometimes carry an empty slide-carrier with me - just to look through it and see "the small picture".

Oddly enough, photography has turned me into quite the Buddhist. It confirms the idea that everything truly is temporary. Although after a while, you tend to get tired of the same ol' sunset shots, you still have the appreciation to realize that no two evenings ever look the same. It also teaches you so much about the nature of light, a truly pure energy, which is the nature of all that is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back