It's not Goldilocks & the tbree bears.

Scott Whaley

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went back into my data base and processed some more bear photos at Cades Cove. I took Kirk's advice and minimized my post processing. I mainly worked on exposure,shadows, white & blavk. I did very additional PP. Now, remember that I took these photos early in the morning & had to set the shutter speed way down (60 to 160/sec.) & the ISO was really high (above 12,000.) I used my 5d with a Sigma 150-600 lens. No tripod so I hand held the camera. These
photos are the best I could get.
Bear #18 (1 of 1).jpg

Bear #11 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Bear #7 (1 of 1).jpg

Bear #14 (1 of 1).jpg

First one is my favorite and the last one is adorable. Pretty nice especially considering the conditions! It’s hard to get good wb when you’re in the woods. Maybe try to counteract those greens a bit by increasing the reds or warming the wb?

Also - if you haven’t tried it yet, check out Topaz Denoise for your high ISO shots and Topax AI Sharpen for the slow shutter speeds. Amazing software that can take a photo from great to wow. Usually there’s a 30 day free trial available.

First one is my favorite and the last one is adorable. Pretty nice especially considering the conditions! It’s hard to get good wb when you’re in the woods. Maybe try to counteract those greens a bit by increasing the reds or warming the wb?

Also - if you haven’t tried it yet, check out Topaz Denoise for your high ISO shots and Topax AI Sharpen for the slow shutter speeds. Amazing software that can take a photo from great to wow. Usually there’s a 30 day free trial available.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll have to check it out.

Great set given the conditions. Really like the last one. I second the Topaz products. My process is now DeNoise->Sharpen->Gigapixel->LR->PSE, and for the most part, I'm happy with what comes out. The DeNose works wonders on the noise in the photos.

I went back into my data base and processed some more bear photos at Cades Cove. I took Kirk's advice and minimized my post processing. I mainly worked on exposure,shadows, white & blavk. I did very additional PP. Now, remember that I took these photos early in the morning & had to set the shutter speed way down (60 to 160/sec.) & the ISO was really high (above 12,000.) I used my 5d with a Sigma 150-600 lens. No tripod so I hand held the camera. These
photos are the best I could get.
View attachment 244472
View attachment 244477
View attachment 244478
View attachment 244479
Nice set! Did any of these get sent to a news app? I could swear I saw the second one on one of them with a larger crop, showing the momma bear looking at the cub on the tree? I don’t remember the app, but it was shown recently.

Nice set! Did any of these get sent to a news app? I could swear I saw the second one on one of them with a larger crop, showing the momma bear looking at the cub on the tree? I don’t remember the app, but it was shown recently.
No. Can you try and find it? I did post it on a few other forums & also look Instagram.

No. Can you try and find it? I did post it on a few other forums & also look Instagram.
I’ll try. I started searching after I posted, but got thousands of hits of bear Cubs climbing in stock photos. I’m going to try searching on the news apps I visit. I take it there was a bigger crop with the momma watching.

Great set given the conditions. Really like the last one. I second the Topaz products. My process is now DeNoise->Sharpen->Gigapixel->LR->PSE, and for the most part, I'm happy with what comes out. The DeNose works wonders on the noise in the photos.
Interesting that you Denoise and Sharpen first then edit in LR and PS. I have been doing LR-PS(rarely)-Sharpen-Denoise... I’ll have to reverse my steps on a recent edit and compare end results.

Interesting that you Denoise and Sharpen first then edit in LR and PS. I have been doing LR-PS(rarely)-Sharpen-Denoise... I’ll have to reverse my steps on a recent edit and compare end results.
I tried various orders, but this one seemed to work for me, at least until I find something better. I start with a raw CR2 file, and work through the process on DNG files, and then in LR export to jpeg, and then one final look in PSE.

love this so much

Most reactions

Back