It's official... new Nikon product

That camera ain't too hawt :er:

are you serious? Did you read the specs?
14MP
100-3200ISO
AF video 1080P
new 11 point AF

on paper, it's seems like it's already better then the D90! I might just buy one for the video option now that it has AF.

yuck another plastic pocket sized video recorder from nikon.

My Thoughts:

D3100-
I'm excited about this! My girlfriend is growing tired of the D70, and this seems like a perfect replacement. She wants video and a big screen, I want cheap. Bingo! I'm a huge fan of the rocker switch below the dial, LOVED that on my GF1. If the sensor is the same as the NEX3/5, than that's great. That sensor kicks butt for noise on DX. Too bad the NEX lenses are total sh*t for what they are. I was never a big fan of the D3000, if this camera operates faster and the video is good, she might have one at Christmas.

85mm f/1.4-
24G, 50G, 85G, all at f/1.4. Sweet Baby Jesus that would be beautiful. It'd be like the "new holy trinity"! The 85mm f/1.8D is one of the sharpest lenses i've ever used, if this stacks up and the bokeh is rich like the 24G, it'll be in the bag. I'll have to see what that lens is going to be with my work discount ;)

28-300VR-
I've never been a huge fan of the 18-200, and if I want an 11x zoom i'd get the Olympus 14-150 (i won an E-PL1 through work, might swap it out for an E-P1 though). Could be a fun one to rent for a weekend just for curiosities sake.

24-120 f/4 VR-
Before I started my addiction to primes, I wanted this so bad. This one falls into the same area as the 28-300. Might be fun to rent for a weekend just to see how it handles.

55-300VR-
If it's as good as the 70-300VR on DX, i'd get it with the D3100 for my girlfriend so she could shoot birds around the farm (she's gotten surprisingly close with her 18-70)

My Thoughts:

85mm f/1.4-
24G, 50G, 85G, all at f/1.4. Sweet Baby Jesus that would be beautiful. It'd be like the "new holy trinity"!

Except the 50G is horrible at f/1.4. I only use mine at f/2.8 and beyond. It needs a redesign, IMO.

A 24-120mm sounds very interesting indeed, if its highgrade enough it would be a very sweet walk around lens, esp for those that want just a little more reach. Might be more suited to fullframe over crop sensor (since 24mm is not that wide on crop) though with a 10-20mm or similar it would be an effective 2 lens combo.

The 28-300mm is an interesting choice indeed - canon make one (at a much higher price in their L range) and it is one of the poorer sellers. With a $1000+price point I do wonder which market this lens will settle into. Canon has shown that a lens like that dosn't do that well at the high end of the market and I think nikon are risking it in the midrange market - that said nikon has less long range lenses in their midrange price bracket so it might even out.

That camera ain't too hawt :er:

are you serious? Did you read the specs?
14MP
100-3200ISO
AF video 1080P
new 11 point AF

on paper, it's seems like it's already better then the D90! I might just buy one for the video option now that it has AF.

Seriously? I think it looks nice, but better than a D90?? I think the lack of dedicated buttons and an AF motor would make it still inferior. Usability is a big factor that is often overlooked as a minor convenience. I know that the D3100 and D90 are in different categories, but that's my point as to why I think the 3100 is still not better than the D90 line.

I think this is a great update to the D3000...which I didn't think was all that impressive or worth a buy. Plastic body is expected and ISO 100-3200 means nothing until we see how it performs at those isos....who knows...1600-3200 could be unusable (unlikely but still a thought).

4 megapixel increase is nice....hopefully the D90 update will see the same increase to a 16megapixel sensor.

My thoughts are...

Bah, waiting for Canon to tell me first.

I'll get back to you

.... new 11 point AF....
Nope - the same several year old Multi-CAM 1000 that's been in the D3000/D5000/D90. The specs don't claim any cross-type sensors though, which would be a step backwards.

For me the big deal is the contrast-detect focusing for the video.

Live View Lens servo
Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S);
full-time-servo AF (AF-F)
Manual focus (MF)

Live View AF-area mode
Face-priority AF
Wide-area AF
Normal-area AF
Subject-tracking AF

Live View Autofocus
Contrast-detect AF anywhere in frame (camera selects focus point automatically when face-priority AF or subejct-tracking AF is selected

This is huge news for people who really like the video capabilities in DSLRs. the new D3100 now uses the H.264 video codec which is great. video quality will be much better and there should be no more JELLO shaking problems as in the d90, D5000 and D300s! This will put Nikon where they need to be when people are considering a video DSLR. ALSO, people now know the H.264 codec will be used in the new D90 replacement and I'm sure the D700 replacement. :thumbup:

I am also excited to see how the new 24-120 f/4 does! I had the old 24-120 VR and really liked it (although its performance of sharpness was nothing to talk about). If it's what it should be i would consider getting rid of my 24-70 f/2.8 for it.

yes , i have already called my dealer to let me know when they get a 24-120f4 in so i can test it out . I have been looking at different options for a "travel lens" and depending on the test results this might be useful. Would i love a 2.8 at these focal lengths; of course, but don't think that will happen.

The 55-300 interests me. The lens that is most frequently on my camera is the 70-300VR and 70 is a little long sometimes. Might be worth trying out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back