It's the 11th November tomorrow.

I knew that most places paid tribute in some way or another but I wasn't sure about the poppies.

Flanders Field was written by a Canadian, that's why I thought it might be a Canadian thing. There are however many, Canadian & otherwise, who should be remembered.

Yes, Hertz, that's true, but it is strange and, maybe, fascinating that here we are talking completely freely, without any "borders", but while you are having the minute of silence, we are happy, and we are celebrating. It is intresting and amazing what have our ancestors done, that there are so huge differences and preferences in our cultures.

The differences aren't as huge as you think.
People are pretty much the same the world over and we all want the same things for our children - everything else is just Politics.

Vets used to sell the poppies around here but I haven't seen them selling off Base for at least a few years. The only collections for donations I've seen recently are the bell ringers for the Salvation Army are already out at the stores. I think that everyone has their own way of remembering/honoring Veterans and while a moment of silence is nice it's not very practical in todays society. I come from a military family and someone has always made the trip out to the cemetery to honor our family members.

I do it privately and remeber my father and grandfather. One was at Dunkirk and one at Ypres. And I had a friend who was at the Falklands. But I remember the poor guys who were on the other side too.

Khe Song - I was speaking with a Major outside of Charlie Med when I heard artillery whistling above. We instinctively ducked, but he immediately stood up and said "Outgoing." I stood up and he slowly took a long drag on a cigarette. "Outgoing ... Incoming ... the only difference is who gets the grease ... and that ain't no f****** difference at all."

Gary

Most reactions

New Topics

Back