Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, so ive been thinking....

I currently have:
Nikon D40x
Sigma 10-20mm
Sigma 70-200mm
Nikon 50mm f/1.8

Ive been trying to build up my kit. Besides that gear i have a fair amount of lighting equipment that i use (strobes, stands, umbrellas...). Ive currently been thinking about upgrading. I have been looking at getting a lens or 2 to cover that area from 20 to 70 and was mainly looking at the sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. I also wanted to get a replacement for the nifty fifty for 2 reasons: 1 i dont like that length, just a little to long, and also, i really am getting tired of mf as most of my shots are of action. So my answer to that was the sigma 30mm f/1.4 (ya, i know, i have a thing for sigma lenses) And after doing all this thinking i was wondering if it would make sense to upgrade my body instead (or aswell). I have like 400 know that i was going to use on next lens (30mm or 18-50) but now im thinking i could sell d40x body and upgrade to something in the likings of a D80 (or better, d200).

Opinions?

Btw, if you dont like this thread please do not waste your time and respond.

selling the D40x with the 400 you would be able to get a D200 im guessing so that could be very worth while.

and then just wait and save up for a new lens. OR you could do it ther other way round. whichever u think is best for you

but it sounds like a good plan

Yes, im really liking the D200. Im thinking if i get a summer job i should be able to get the camera, and the lenses. Now i i just have to figure out what to get first!

Any other opinions?

I think you should go ahead and get that job and save up for the D200. It should be miles better than the D80. Faster shooting, better build, PC Sync (that's something I'd look at because I want to have my own studio), and it'll probably last you a lot longer.

If you were to get the D80, I don't think you'd be stepping that much farther from the D40. The D80 has 3 FPS, D200 has 5. I think the D200 might take better advantage of what you have already. If you tried hard enough, You might find a D200 for as much as you would a D80.

Just my opinion.

i think you've out grown your d40. so i'd say D200. sell the 50/1.8 and start saving for a mid-range zoom or a wider prime

Well again ive been thinking i should get the lenses first. The lenses i would benefit from them now, so they would be more of an addition then and upgrade. I dont really need a new camera, but i need lenses to fill that gap.

most of the time i'd say glass before a new body, but in this case, a more advanced body would open up a lot of doors for you.

you're going to have dramatically better AF, and ergonomics. you will rarely have to call up the menu whilst shooting. improved build quality - weather sealing! CLS is supported, and you have a pc-sync connection, working with artificial light will be a lot easier.
there are a lot of things you'd be able to take advantage of that you wouldn't be able to (at least easily) with the d40. just my opinion though.

Well again ive been thinking i should get the lenses first. The lenses i would benefit from them now, so they would be more of an addition then and upgrade. I dont really need a new camera, but i need lenses to fill that gap.

Is it possible if you trade your 50mm with midrange zoom from the local store? Otherwise you sell the 50mm first than shop around for mid zoom.
Since you like Sigma maybe it is worthy to look at their 17-70 macro, or the Nikon 18-70. Nikon has good resell value I think. Once the lens is done than you can move to camera easier.

Make sense?

I feel quite the same way. But I don't have as many lenses as you. I only have been using one for the past few weeks. I feel as if I've outgrown my camera. But I should have more options before I even think of upgrading camera bodies.

You made a smart move with buying a cheap body and going for glass. That's a move I'm following. In you're case, it looks like you have enough glass that will suit you with your new body. It will open up so many doors making a larger step.

Is it possible if you trade your 50mm with midrange zoom from the local store? Otherwise you sell the 50mm first than shop around for mid zoom.
Since you like Sigma maybe it is worthy to look at their 17-70 macro, or the Nikon 18-70. Nikon has good resell value I think. Once the lens is done than you can move to camera easier.

Make sense?

I just sold my 50mm which im pretty happy about. I bought it off a clueless guy selling an old film body with it on it. I offered 35 and he was more then happy to give it to me for that much, im sure he didnt even think the camera+lens was worth that much, and then i sold for 75, and its the older model without original box. I was looking at the sigma 17-70 but i would rather have the 18-50 macro becuase of the constand 2.8 aperture. But i also really really want the 30mm f/1.4 to replace my 50mm. I just cant decide what to get first!

I just got the Sigma 30mm 1.4. It is a beautiful lens. Great for candids and really warm. I have heard some horror stories of focus issues, but mine performs very well. Personally, I think a good prime helps me be more creative. I vote for the 30mm. And save up for the D200 or D300, they're worth their weight in gold.

Thanks!
Ya, I think im sold on the 30mm. Its wierd, i really like the 30mm but not sure how much i need it. And with the 18-50, i dont really like it but i feel i need it.

Anyways, im watching 2 on ebay, ill let you know how it goes!

is there a reason that nobody reccomends the sigma 24-70 f2.8 in these types of conversations??

Most reactions

Back