I've been out spammed...

bace said:
P.S. Pictures are coming. More than you'll ever want to see. Pictures of everything. My apartment. My family. My friends. The clubs that I go too. Oh it's coming. The moment is fast approaching. Only 7 days to be exact.
I would love to meet you, and have a beer. I think it would be kicking if you came to the DC meetup in April. Try and make it, ok? :)

And I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures! Rumor has it you're actually pretty good. ;)

bace said:
P.S. Pictures are coming. More than you'll ever want to see. Pictures of everything. My apartment. My family. My friends. The clubs that I go too. Oh it's coming. The moment is fast approaching. Only 7 days to be exact.

We wanna see you in action baceing a girl in a nightclub with glowsticks. :D

terri said:
I would love to meet you, and have a beer. I think it would be kicking if you came to the DC meetup in April. Try and make it, ok? :)

And I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures! Rumor has it you're actually pretty good. ;)

Ha. Rumour.:lmao:

I don't think I'll be there in April. But I'm gonna try and get my pass port sorted asap. Who knows.

I need to get the UK pass port which may take a lot longer.

terri said:
All those extra vowels you Europeans love. It's cute. :thumbup:

Um, you mean all those vowels you lazy yanks like to forget? We invented "English" remember. Traitors.

:::::runs::::

terri said:
All those extra vowels you Europeans love. It's cute. :thumbup:

enrolment, fulfil, skilful, analogue, catalogue, dialogue, cheque, defence, jewellery, draught, pyjamas, plough, programme, judgement, arguement, ageing, tyre, propelling, counselling, quarrelling, dreamt, leapt, fitted, forecasted, wedded, knitted, strived, aluminium, anaemia, artefact, baulk, calibre, cancelled, clamour, cosy, demeanour, dietician, doughnut, encyclopædia, haemorrhage, lasagne, neighbour, sceptical, sulphur, waggon, woollen

All correct. Unlike your strange colonial dialect! :mrgreen:

I've been suckered into spelling Defense the American way since I got this job.

Damn the man!!!

Rob said:
enrolment, fulfil, skilful, analogue, catalogue, dialogue, cheque, defence, jewellery, draught, pyjamas, plough, programme, judgement, arguement, ageing, tyre, propelling, counselling, quarrelling, dreamt, leapt, fitted, forecasted, wedded, knitted, strived, aluminium, anaemia, artefact, baulk, calibre, cancelled, clamour, cosy, demeanour, dietician, doughnut, encyclopædia, haemorrhage, lasagne, neighbour, sceptical, sulphur, waggon, woollen

I'm thinking a lot of those aren't disputed...least not by me. A lot of those are the same way I know to spell them.

Rob said:

Ah....Rob. What the hell took you so long? :biglaugh:

The ones in bold are correct, or variants of what's correct, darling. See how nicely we can get along?

You know it's interesting. What American decided one day to just change words? Like stood up and said, you know, for the rest of American History, we're gonna write this word different.

Weird how history and language works. I remember a friend studying that stuff. Pretty interesting really. Considering most of western europe is derived from ancient roman language or something right?

Oops, dreamt should have read dreamed!

I was under the impression that your version of the bold ones was:

catalog, dialog, judgment (Terminator 2 film), aging, propeling, counciling, quarreling, dreamt (doh!), leaped, fit, forecast, wed, knit, strove, aluminum, artifact, caliber, canceled, dietitian, donut, lasagna, sulfur

Rob

Rob said:
Oops, dreamt should have read dreamed!

I was under the impression that your version of the bold ones was:

catalog, dialog, judgment (Terminator 2 film), aging, propeling, counciling, quarreling, dreamt (doh!), leaped, fit, forecast, wed, knit, strove, aluminum, artifact, caliber, canceled, dietitian, donut, lasagna, sulfur

Rob

Some of those just seem like different versions. Like you have forecasted as your version and forecast as ours...those are just different versions (can't think of the word I want. Like this:

"The weather man forecasted rain, but it's sunny out."
or
"I would like to know if it's gonna rain, so I'll turn on the news and watch the forecast."

Same with fit and fitted, I think. Wait...no..maybe not...I'm not sure...don't ask me. I've heard clothing referred to as 'fitted'. Such as "Her new jacket is a fitted jacket." And fit would be something like: "I wonder if this jacket will fit me?"

I don't think I've ever heard the word 'strove'.

'counciling' should be 'counselling', like your original one said.

bace said:
You know it's interesting. What American decided one day to just change words? Like stood up and said, you know, for the rest of American History, we're gonna write this word different.

It's a combination of lazy enunciation and phonetic shortenings. Basically the general US accent is softer (less plosive, less glottal stops, verbal morphology, syntactic omissions, dodgy prepositions, historic lexical differences like boot/trunk) and people write what they say.

English is declining here because teachers now have more policies where they are required to teach kids to convey meaning, rather than hitting them with wooden rulers. (not the US "rules" you note!) Generally the parents don't correct them as much either.

I'm not an advocate of parrot-learning or hitting kids, but I feel it's a bit of a shame when everyone PUTS A DAMN APOSTROPHE IN EVERY PLURAL WORD THEY ENCOUNTER.

Sorry, rant over.

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back