I've Seen This More Than I Can Count

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've seen this view more times than I can count and it just gets more annoying each time. And whoever gave them that laughing, taunting call really has a warped sense of humor.

Belted Kingfisher Launching
2013-11-29-05.jpg

I was at Old Hickory Lake this morning and heard one. Saw it sitting on a stump out in the water so I started easing myself that way. I got just marginally in range of my 500mm lens and he launched and landed in a tree. So I started easing myself that way. I got just marginally in range of my 500mm lens and he launched again and headed to the other side of the lake. That's when I got the shot above. From 59.5 meters away! Aaaaaargh!

So I gave up and went to another lake. First thing I see when I get there is another Kingfisher. I ask myself, "Do I REALLY want to play this game again?" Yeah, I do. After 4 stops and over a mile of trekking around the stupid lake this is the best I got of that one before the little prick headed back to the Point of Beginning to start it all over again, laughing the whole way. Just for the record this one was shot at only 42 meters distance ;)

Belted Kingfisher Taunting
2013-11-29-01.jpg

One of these days one of you is going to mess up and let me get close enough. But not today. Enough was enough and I trudged back to my truck and went home.

Scott, nice images :mrgreen:. I know how frustrating shooting birds (an other wildlife) can be - the little critters just never do what we want them to :banghead: .

WesternGuy

Absolutely outstanding images. And hey, worst case scenario if they get too annoying I've got an old 10 gauge side by side you can borrow.. lol

Aren't you supposed to lay out the bait(-fish) for them? Heck, it works with deer, squirrels, turkeys, and raccoons. Unless you have moral qualms about attracting them under false pretenses.:)

Scott, nice images :mrgreen:. I know how frustrating shooting birds (an other wildlife) can be - the little critters just never do what we want them to :banghead: .
Yeah, I know. I've been doing this long enough to understand that, but I swear these little #%$^&@#&* seem to ENJOY it. I honestly believe that they do it on purpose. One of those yesterday honestly led me from one end of the lake to the other and then flew right back to the same tree we started out, daring me to walk back there again.

Absolutely outstanding images. And hey, worst case scenario if they get too annoying I've got an old 10 gauge side by side you can borrow.. lol
I've thought about it. Oh, yeah, I've thought about it. Get that little #%$^&@#&* stuffed and sit him right where I want him and take all the photos I want!

Aren't you supposed to lay out the bait(-fish) for them? Heck, it works with deer, squirrels, turkeys, and raccoons. Unless you have moral qualms about attracting them under false pretenses.:)
Where these guys are concerned any moral qualms I had have gone right out the window ;) The problem would be that this time of year anywhere they are there are also dozens of Ring-Billed Gulls that would snatch up anything before it even hits the ground. I dunno, that shotgun thing is starting to sound pretty viable to me ;)

The challenge is part of the fun, but I prefer to be the one having the fun. And it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for that laughing call that they have. That call just so perfectly fits the situation it's maddening.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the moral support ;)

Oh, yeah, I feel your pain, bro! I have the same love-hate relationship with Kingfishers. They are SO freakin' cool, that they KNOW we aren't going to be able to resist chasing after them, so they just sit and wait, begging us to take One. More. Step.--then when we're just TWO steps out of a reasonable range--off they go, like a bullet. Like a stinkin', laughin' bullet! Even that little hovering maneuver they do when they're looking for a fish is just to taunt us--like doing a little "you can't catch me" dance in mid-air!

I quite like these; I think those are closer than I've ever gotten.

Oh, yeah, I feel your pain, bro! I have the same love-hate relationship with Kingfishers. They are SO freakin' cool, that they KNOW we aren't going to be able to resist chasing after them, so they just sit and wait, begging us to take One. More. Step.--then when we're just TWO steps out of a reasonable range--off they go, like a bullet. Like a stinkin', laughin' bullet! Even that little hovering maneuver they do when they're looking for a fish is just to taunt us--like doing a little "you can't catch me" dance in mid-air!

I quite like these; I think those are closer than I've ever gotten.
Yeah, I love to watch them as long as I don't have a camera. Actually, now that I think on it, maybe it is just that they are smart enough to recognize a camera. After chasing the second one yesterday I walked back to my truck and the bird settled back into his tree on the other side of the lake (the one from which the original chase started). I Stood by my truck and glared at him for a while so he took off, hovered over the lake, and then caught a fish just to spite me.

These two aren't that close, just heavily cropped. I checked the focus distance when I got home and the first is from 59.5 meters and the second from 42 meters. It's easy to see that the resolution is falling off badly which is why I didn't crop them any tighter.

But, hey, I tried! One of these days (shakes fist at the world in general) I WILL get a good shot of a Kingfisher! It may be stuffed or plastic but I WILL get a good shot of one.

I'll send you a PM today or tomorrow about Friday's schedule. I've got to figure out how little sleep I can get by on ;)

maybe it is just that they are smart enough to recognize a camera.

I swear I think it's this^
I was putting up christmas decorations yesterday and I had a sharpie buzz by me literally from about four feet away. It was actually really cool to hear. He then landed in a tree near my bird feeders (20 feet away) and glanced at me as though to say "ha ha stupid where's your camera now?" Stayed there for a few minutes and then took off. Oh how they taunt!

I'm sure you'll get the shot.

:lol: Many reasons why I don't shoot wildlife. cool shots though! :)

I was putting up christmas decorations yesterday and I had a sharpie buzz by me literally from about four feet away. It was actually really cool to hear. He then landed in a tree near my bird feeders (20 feet away) and glanced at me as though to say "ha ha stupid where's your camera now?" Stayed there for a few minutes and then took off. Oh how they taunt!

I'm sure you'll get the shot.

People use the phrase "Bird Brain" as an insult but some of them are a lot smarter than people give them credit for. I don't DARE walk around some of these lakes without a camera because if I do the rare ones are all over the place.

They also know when you DON'T need a photograph of them. Wood Ducks were my nemesis for years. I looked EVERYWHERE For them and never saw one. Once I finally did I started seeing them all over the place and finally got tired of them ;)

They KNOW! Oh yeah, they know.

:lol: Many reasons why I don't shoot wildlife. cool shots though! :)
It's frustrating and rewarding both. Frustrating when they won't cooperate at all yet rewarding when we get a good shot. All part of the game ;)

I've played that game! Now whenever I see a Kingfisher shot that horrible feeling comes back! Great shots!

I've played that game! Now whenever I see a Kingfisher shot that horrible feeling comes back! Great shots!

Thanks. I'm not real pleased with the shots but given these monsters they are about as good as any others I have taken.

Went to another lake this morning and the first thing I heard was a Kingfisher already laughing at me before I even got to the water. I ignored it. I'm not playing that game any more. I'm a MAN dammit and I will not be b-b-b-bullied by a b-b-b-bird.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back