Jan 21st 2006 NW Pennsylvania Meet Up

Looks like we will have 4 or 5 going which is great. The long range forecast is calling for cloudy weather and a high around 40 which is real nice for January. So now the question remains as to what you would like to shoot. There are many possibilities, and we can do several of them.

1.)Ghost Town Shots- These are the areas around the Rynd Farm, and Columbia Farm areas. There are still a lot of old cool buildings that were part of the oil boom in the 1870s-1900. Before that the areas was all farms and after the oil boom people still called them by what they used to be called.

2.)Wildcat Hollow-This is the area where the "wild cat-ers" lived and drilled for oil. Not much is left anymore however it is a very nice gorge with neat nature stuff.

3.)Waterfall shots.-With the very mild weather we have been having there are many opportunities for small waterfall shots. By water falls I am really talking about cascades. Since it is going to be cloudy would be a good day for long exposures with a ND filter to catch the movement.

4.)Cemetery Shots-There is a very cool old Cemetery there from the boom times, there is also a very cool old cemetery just outside the park that has some cool old headstones, and an angel statue with one of the wings broken off.

5.)Fluvial Field-The valley was very heavily glaciated during the last ice age. When the glaciers melted they left behind huge limestone boulders some of which are as large as a bus. This area also has a working oil well.

6.)Oil Dirges-The park has built a nice replica of wooden oil dirges (oil wells) and a nice wooden shack. This is on an area on top of a ridge that has a nice overlook of the valley below.

7.)Rail Road Bridges-There are several very old railroad bridges that are in the park.

8.)Train Station-There is a replica of the old train station at Petroleum Center. In the summer they use it for a sight-seeing train. President Grant made a stop and a speech there back in the boom times.

Let me know what from the above list interests you. There should be enough time to do a lot of them, however if there is something you would really like to do let me know so we can plan on it.

No matter what we decide on there will be plenty of opportunities to shoot nature shoots of trees, ridges, and the creek all of which are very scenic.

Wally

Well Ghost towns sound sweet. Since I don't have a ND filter yet for my camera the I'm not really ready for the cascading water yet. The oil dirges sound good too. I haven't been to drakes well since I was a kid. I vaugly rember doing a bike race on some bike path there but that was at least 15 years ago.

I think the ghost town and cemetary would be cool. I would kinda like a good subject to shoot...
I guess I didnt realize that was put up here... sorry for my lazyness...

:grumpy:
Murphy is following me around. All Hell as broke out at work so I'm sad to say a trip to PA is going to be out of the question. Maybe next time.

Make sure to post some pics! Looking forward to seeing them.

It looks like on Saturday it is going to pour down rain all day, and then snow. As much as I hate doing this I think we should postpone the trip. Will next Saturday work for any of you?

Wally

Nope next weeken won't work. I will be in Erie tommorow. Oh and fyi i havent trusted a weather man in the past 10 years...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back