Jay going nuts

Fangman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
birdsJunweb1of3.jpg

A rare visitor to my garden although I see them about over the fields at the back
birdsJunweb2of3.jpg

Rather large for the feeder - a quick attack and then down to eat what it managed to dislodge
birdsJunweb3of3.jpg

The Spotted woodpecker arriving a little later give an idea of scale as this is about the largest bird to attempt to settle and feed, normally reserved for the tits and occasional starling.

That first picture is a great capture. It'd have been nice to have pushed your shutter speed a little harder to stop those wings. But birds are unpredictable creatures, I suppose.

It was a surprise to see the Jay - had the camera on tripod focussed on another feeder when it arrived and no time to reset anything than focus and pray! It was all over in a few seconds and then a minute or so later amnaged to get a few shots of it managing to stay attached to the nut feeder, but compared to my normal visitors very nervous and off at the slightest movement - very sharp eyes!

That first shot is great. I find it amusing that you can use the phrase "occasional starling". Where I am in Pennsylvania, starlings are a huge nusiance at the feeders, eating everything in sight! Great shots.

My favorite is the first one. I would have liked it better if his wing tips were not clipped in the frame though.

I am watching a mob of starlings on the bird table as I type - young ones begging at everyone including other species - beaks wide open that stre3tch to the back of their necks. It is the few starlings that try to hang on the nut holder that I meant.

What a lovely trio of images! The first one is wonderful, you can almost imagine it saying 'oops' as its foot let go. Such a cheeky stance in the second shot, and such a nice closeup of the woodpecker in the third. A good days shooting indeed!

Most reactions

Back