Jazzy Fly

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
50388795978_85a6ce27ab_b.jpg

Wow, that is jazzy. Looks a bit like our Horse Flies. Nasty biting things.

Reminds me of one of those puffy dresses you see the " glamorous " people wearing on the red carpet;).

This looks like a biting fly. Squash it

I don't think that is a horse fly - it looks more like a Tachnid but I am not an expert.

I don't think that is a horse fly - it looks more like a Tachnid but I am not an expert.

They are both of the same order mate - Diptera.

They are both of the same order mate - Diptera.
True but one will bite - and one won't.
Although it is a nice photo - it is a shame that you can't see it's mouthparts.

There several thousand species of Tachinid, some of which do have the ability to bite, many don't. My inference was that our Horse Flies are nasty biting things, not the particular fly in the photograph. Hope that clarifies.

That makes sense - thanks.

There several thousand species of Tachinid, some of which do have the ability to bite, many don't. My inference was that our Horse Flies are nasty biting things, not the particular fly in the photograph. Hope that clarifies.

I haven't been bitten by a horsefly since I was a kid in Alabama. They would try to sting us while we were in the pool so to protect ourselves we would take the plastic baby pool and flip it upside down in the bigger pool and go underneath it and pop up inside to breath. It worked like a charm but we eventually had to come out and and face them. man, I remember their stings hurt worse than a bee sting.

Nice shot, Donde.

I've come to find it is a Fruit Fly, family: Tephritidae.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back