Jesse

ShootHoops

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ariellemyers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Jesse came into town for a show he was playing. I couldn't make it cause I had somewhere to be the next morning and couldn't risk oversleeping. We hooked up for a quick shoot before he headed to the venue.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

Strobe camera left, with on camera a stop down?

Do you have the off camera lighting on a tripod?

Sorry, I just like the effect and am wondering what your setup was.

Thanks, mooode! :) He really liked that one when I showed it to him.

AnotherNewGuy, it's totally cool to ask! On Flickr, and on my blog, I normally add the setup info under my shot. I guess I just forgot to add it here!

First Setup:
YN-460 in 45" Shoot-Through Umbrella, 1/4 power, on the right
YN-460 bare, 1/16 power, on the left
Triggered by CTR-301P

Second Setup:
YN-460 in 45" Shoot-Through Umbrella, 1/1 power, on the right
YN-460 bare, 1/8 power, on the left
Triggered by CTR-301P

I always have each flash on a light stand. Since I started using off-camera flash about a month ago, I've been mainly sticking with the same setup: main light with an umbrella or brolly box, and bare backlight. Hopefully, this helps you out. :) Thanks for asking!

I like that first one...funky bench, cool shadows, and the subject is well lit

I also like the first time the best of the two, but both poses seem awkward/stiff for some reason.

The first photo is great

Thanks everyone. He was especially stiff in that first shot. We had just started shooting. I didn't tell him how to pose because...I didn't know what I wanted him to do! That's something I have to work on. There's a book I read somewhere about portraiture poses that I definitely need to read a few more times.

When you state "on the right" or "on the left" I'm getting confused, especially with you flash power settings. I assume "camera" left or right, not subject, but I think you are talking subject's right or left.

The first on the bench is the better of the two IMO, but there are still issues. There doesn't seem to be a balance between the two light sources.... meaning there is a definite line on your subjects face between the two light sources. I think the camera left is too hot. Of course, one remedy is to drop power output, but another is to bring the light source as close as possible to the subject without being in the frame. The closer the light source, especially through an umbrella or soft box, the softer the light will be and the less power output is needed for your flash. Light source on camera right is pretty close to spot on, but could use a drop in output IMO.

In #2, there is obviously another light source in play, otherwise you would not have the shadows coming forward at ~45° angle. The right side of his face has lost most of the detail and the white of his top is missing texture from the neck line to abdomen.

In both shots I think you should consider placing your second light behind the subject to seperate him from the background. As is, both shots having him meld into the abyss.

Not meaning to sound ruthless, they are good enough shots.

When I say to the left or the right, I just mean it's on that side of the frame.

But thanks for all the tips. I need all the advice I can get. It helps when people lend a hand.

During this shoot, I was pretty pressed for time. So, once again, I ended up rushing my shots and not thinking things through nearly enough. I would normally put the second flash behind my subject. So who knows what got into me that night. Rushing! That's such an awful habit I formed somewhere along my little photographic journey.

But thanks again.

Most reactions

Back