Jessops vs HP photo paper

ahelg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Today I purchased an HP photo printer which prints 10x5 photos. I got an ink cartridge with it but only a few sheets of photographic paper. Jessops paper is much cheaper but I've no idea what the quality is like. Has anyone tried the 10x5 jessops photo paper and does it compare to the HP Advanced Photo Paper?

I may be wrong but from what I've heard, it's best to use the paper by the same brand as the printer. For example, HP paper was made for the HP ink, same with Epson. They all say they develop their paper for their inks and if you use some cheaper papers the inks may not perform as advertised. This all could be how they get people to buy their products or it could be true I don't know.

If you are going to use different paper, I'd only go up in quality, like to Crane or Hahnemühle, and with the appropriate ICC profile. Otherwise I would stick to the papers that your printer driver has listed in it. If you try a different paper, I'd get the ICC profile that goes with it and your printer, otherwise trying to color-match is going to be a real pain. The paper will affect how the ink looks after it is applied, and that needs to be accounted for if you want high quality.

I bought a bunch of "Staples" brand 4x6 glossy photo paper...it looks like crap on my Canon photo printer. The Canon paper looks much better.

I printed the same picture twice with both Jessops and HP advanced photo paper. There was very little difference. The blues on my t-shirt seemed to be slightly darker on the Jessops paper, but not noticable unless you really were looking for defects in the print.

Unless using non HP paper "damages" the printer in any way, I might as well use Jessops for the time being, unless anyone can give me a really good reason why I should use HP.

If it looks good to you, go ahead and use it. I'd leave the two prints out in the open air and go back and look at them in a couple months. Sometimes paper can have an effect on fading. The ink is usually what impacts that most, but it might be worth comparing if that's important to you.

I worked as a sales rep for HP and found Canon paper in an HP printer (as well as HP paper in a Canon printer) looked the best. The Staples and Best Buy brands were lousy, as mentioned.

Henry's reps would razz me all the time because Epson claimed photos on their papers lasted longer than those on HP papers. Blah blah blah. They may be right. They may be wrong. I have no clue, and I seriously doubt they do.

I've never heard of Jessop's, but, as you say, if it looks alright then let 'er rip! I don't think it will damage your printer. Go into your printer's toolbox and play around with the various settings.

And as you also alluded to: differences are usually only apparent when you're looking for them. Just enjoy your photographs.

I expect that only people living in the UK will have heard of Jessops. It's the biggest photography retailer here in England.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back