Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first try at "action" shots

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

They aren't bad, but it looks like you had your flash on and your camera white balance set to Florescent, giving you that blue/magenta mix of color on the wrestlers.

Other than that you have some prime shots for your first time. Just fix up that color.

Your pretty much right. I set the white balance for Tungsten which is what the lighting was. I set the shutter at 1/250 becouse of my zoom and to freeze some movement. I was way underexposed even with the ISO at 1600 so I put my speedlight on.

What should I have done?

You're way green now.

If you're going to use flash in a gym(or any other indoor place for that matter), I suggest you pick up a flash filter kit(Nikon | SJ-1 Color Filter Set | 4764 | B&H Photo Video).

Because your flash is white light, if you use it in a place where the overhead light is a different temperature there is always going to be odd color casts. So you fix that by making your flash the same temp. as the overhead light. i.e. putting a green filter on to match florescent light, orange filer to match tungsten, and so on.

Still, they are good wrestling shots for your first go. Especially since you used flash. Sometimes people, when shooting in gyms, use the flash as the main light instead of as just a little fill, which leads to the ugly shadows on the players and background falloff. you balanced that quite nicely.

Pretty good overall for a first attempt. White balance is already mentioned... ;)

Most reactions

Back