Johanna

Jeffm73

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I've never really given much thought to doing portrait work before, but seeing the results that so many of you have produced, I thought I would give it a try.

I know nothing about editing of skin tones and generally struggle with post processing, so I'd really like to hear what i can do to make this better.

I appreciate your opinions and want to learn, so please, be honest.

It's more of a candid shot really.

DSC_8970.jpg

5x7q7a8.jpg
Not sure how much better this is but i cropped it just a bit and added some contrast lowered the red just a little ..... Im sure you will get much more detailed help but this is quick simple edits.

Actually you did very well it didn't need any of that most likely just a little different look at it. You did well.

I do like the tighter crop and the added consrat makes all the little details stand out a little more but this is a very nice photograph even as it was. I like it! ;)

I thought that by now some guru would have come in and done more to it. I thought i would see if I could get rid of that one large line. Hope you dont mind. Im not real good at this but if you go slow and be careful you can beat me to death with it.

62gghfo.jpg

Not sure how much better this is but i cropped it just a bit and added some contrast lowered the red just a little ..... Im sure you will get much more detailed help but this is quick simple edits.

Actually you did very well it didn't need any of that most likely just a little different look at it. You did well.

Thanks Mysteryscribe.

I like your edit job. I wasn't sure that the tight crop would work, but it does look really nice. I never really know just how much contrast to add. I guess it just takes some playing around with.

It does look better without that large line.

Thanks for your time.

I do like the tighter crop and the added consrat makes all the little details stand out a little more but this is a very nice photograph even as it was. I like it! ;)

Thanks Kathi.

It's a new world for me.

This is just not a good angle for this subject.

This is just not a good angle for this subject.

Can you elaborate some? What would you have done differently?

I'm all about learning.

Asa general rule try and shoot into the shadow side of the face. But, rules are meant to be broken.

Reduced the saturation, used gradient map to get B/W

DSC_8970copy.jpg

Asa general rule try and shoot into the shadow side of the face. But, rules are meant to be broken.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the shadow side?

I like your first edit on this, but I'm not sure about the second.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the shadow side?

If the main source of light is coming from the right then try and shoot from her left side. Move around or turn the subject and watch how the light and shadows work. Some time the difference is very subtle.

I like your first edit on this, but I'm not sure about the second.

The second edit was meant to be extreme.

I don't think I mentioned earlier...good work, especially for limited portrait experience.

Thanks for the comments and tips.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back