Jousting Tournament - UK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am kicking myself for shooting most of this event at f8 or 9 as specatators are on all sides and the backgrounds got quite 'busy'. I have never really shot moving horses before so didn't judge the DOF required...still...one image was purchased by an event organiser (not one of these though), and it wasn't one I liked very much...

All the kids had a great time though....

CTO_3978.jpg

CTO_4004.jpg

CTO_4220.jpg

I know it is staged, but this has to hurt to some degree...

CTO_4197.jpg

Thanks - but you can see the issue with the 'busy' background....I think I will try to reshoot it if I get the opportunity. Thanks for looking!

I do see your issue with the busy background though I don't think it matters much in the case of Photos 2 and 3, and the one posted in your second post is so full of action that it does not matter there too much, either! All in all you took a captivating series of pics of that jousting tournament!! I tried my hands at one once when I still shot only film and had not brought my telephoto lens and I must say the outcome of yours here is ever so much better than what I ever managed to achieve those five years back!

Nice series, I like #s 2 & 4 the most of group, as for DOF I also think it’s find.

The jousting the tournaments that I have been to they use armor for both rider and house, you folks don’t do that?

Thanks Jeff - well, I think the armour question is outside my experience to answer...I think some do and some don't dependign on the event!

Hey, that was a 'different' series of shots. Very enjoyable. The first and last are my faves: the first for the capture of the rider's exuberance, and the last for the capture of the moment, complete with the pieces of the jousting pole disintegrating. Good job.

cool shots, and i wouldn't really worry about the crowds, they are just part of the event... they add to the drama IMO...

i agree with anty ^^ on the first and last... :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back