JPEG vs RAW (NEF)

If you can properly expose and adjust WB then why do you need raw?

Is there a point to shooting in raw if youre not selling or making large prints of your pictures? If not, then wouldn't PP the raw files to what the camera already can do to the jpeg just be a waste of time?

Is there a point to shooting in raw if youre not selling or making large prints of your pictures? If not, then wouldn't PP the raw files to what the camera already can do to the jpeg just be a waste of time?

ahhhh haaa...

IT LIVES AGAIN!!

If you trust yourself to get the exact exposure and exact white balance every shot, more power to you

I'm not sure. Since this is the Beginner's Forum, most people are probably not selling pictures yet.

I'm a fairly new photographer, trying to develop my skills, both with exposure and composition. I've been shooting all RAW, and with family life, sometimes it takes me a week to download my pics (usually around 400-600 files), edit them and delete the repetitive and boring pics and do batch adjustments to brighten, sharpen, etc.... Then I filled my hard drive in 3 months! I know hard drives are cheap, but as a beginner, none of my photos are something I want on my wall yet! So I don't want a stack of drives with pictures I may never do more with than look at for memories. So, I've been converting everything to jpg and deleting the RAW to save space.

I think I am just going to shoot jpg for my training shots and just use RAW for special locations where I might get that "good enough to want to blow up" shot or when taking pics for friends (I've done some engagement shots for a friend and family photos for others).

Everyone has their reasons for what they use, some wedding photographers only shoot jpg, others wouldn't dream of not shoot RAW. Me, I'd do RAW because I'd probably need a lot of PP help! But for my training, I want to learn to do it right in the camera and am making the switch to jpg for space.

Lisa

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back