Jpeg vs RAW!

Raw photographer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there,

Just thought i would start a fun topic, i think we can get a conversation going, I shoot RAW because i find it easier and way more flexible for editing. I want to know what all of you shoot, Jpeg or Raw.

It will be interesting to see if there are more people that shoot Jpeg or RAW here.

Anyway just thought it would be fun.

Seriously? a fun topic?

:popcorn:

Joe

OK, WTH.

I shoot raw because I can always make a final photo that's better than the JPEGs that come from all the cameras. The processing software in the cameras is simply too limited.

I shoot raw to save time at the computer. It takes more time and more skill to try and fix a JPEG than to just process the raw file.

I shoot raw because I frequently take photos that are impossible to take shooting JPEG and I'm not willing to give up taking those photos.

I understand that my ability to do the above is a luxury that not all photographers have. Some photographers have jobs that require them to shoot JPEG. I know some of those photographers and they do great work.

Joe

Last edited:
I used to shoot in RAW and Jpeg at the same time. I have found that shooting in Jpeg is just fine for what I do and it allows me to process the photos in LR the way I like them. I haven't shot in RAW for about 6 months now.

for me, I swing both ways.

Unless its a specific shot for a very specific reason, I will typ. shoot jpeg, but shoot RAW for the really nice stuff.

haha jc!

For most things I shoot 1 card raw and 1 card jpeg. I am happy with the jpegs 99% of the time and bin the raw files. It saves me a ton of storage space and a lot of processing time. I do sometimes need the raw file if I've got deep shadows to deal with or have a white balance issue or maybe shooting underexposed on purpose to keep my ISO down. Using a mirrorless with EVF makes shooting in jpeg much easier since I very rarely have a bad exposure to fix. On a recent trip to Ireland, I only had to use the raw files for some shots of the Cliffs of Moher because it was high sun and lots of shadows to deal with.

For softball and field hockey I shoot straight jpeg. It's outdoors in usually good light. I use a high shutter speed and auto ISO so the exposures are almost always fine. I've found that using jpeg settings only on the XT2 means less buffering when shooting a burst for action photos.

RAW+ Jpeg for me, most of the time, with RAWS on one card, jpegs on the other.

I’m adventurous: I just spin the dials, push the buttons, and deal with whatever comes up. :p

Most reactions

Back