Jpeg vs RAW!

I've tried using both but have gone back to just .jpeg's for now.
I only use an old version of Elements and only do minor adjustments, so I really wouldn't get much out of shooting raw.

I shoot raw and jpg at the same time ok it eats mem but I get the best of both worlds lol

I shoot raw and jpg at the same time ok it eats mem but I get the best of both worlds lol

Actually, if you shoot raw and JPEG at the same time you can't get the best of both worlds. You can get the best of one or the other. In our modern cameras all the manufacturers hedge the exposure for the camera JPEGs. In other words to get a good JPEG from the camera software you have to expose to under-utilize the sensor by as much as 50% of capacity. You get a serviceable raw file but not "best." "Best" is a superlative. If you expose the sensor to capacity you can get a "best" raw file but your JPEGs will be trashed.

The manufacturer's hedge is probably a good thing for most of us -- an appropriate safety buffer, but it does come at a minor cost.

Joe

Interesting my camera must be set for raw bias but I think that I will switch to just raw in future as it’s the raw files I use the most

I shoot just raw. I shot raw + jpeg for a while but always just ignored the jpegs anyway.

Sometimes I feel silly dragging the huge raw files around after a day of snapshots or when the bulk goes into the bin anyway. I am running out of storage.

But a good number of my shots require the capabilities of a raw file. Sometimes I expose a shot counting on those raw file capabilities, or often I make a mistake in exposure and it is "raw to the rescue".

I used to shoot all RAW. Now, it depends.

If I'm shooting stuff for my church (where they just need to document stuff), I usually shoot jpeg--in part because they want a fast turnaround. For instance, I shoot 120 pictures of the reception for the new associate pastor, they want the edits a day later (not 2 weeks later).

But if I"m shooting a landscape, or anything were color is critical (say...autumn leaves) or high dynamic range (sand dunes at sunset for instance) or an interior (where I might stack images or go in and deal with that hot spot on the metal handle on the 3rd cabinet over the sink of that kitchen I just shot) then I shoot RAW.

This has been a very interesting post, I shoot RAW for everything except stuff thats not really for the serious images like posting an add on Kijiji or Craigslist ect... I don't exactly need a RAW file for that lol.

I have my camera set to take pics in RAW and Jpeg. I don't like having to convert every picture from raw to Jpeg so that it's accepted on websites. If I take what I feel is a worthy pic I will go with RAW. (if I think to)

Most reactions

Back