JTL Mobilights vs. others?

Mike R.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I plan to do on-location portraits of people and pets (interior & exterior) -- I have no studio. I'd like to have truly portable lighting and am convinced that strobes are the way to go -- no "hot" lights, more powerful & flexible than any type of speedlite, etc. I'm interested in the JTL Mobilights (not the Versalights), which are truly self-contained with battery packs (300 w/s is the most powerful). They even have their own radio transmitter/receiver system, like the PocketWizard, apparently.
To me, their cordless advantage is significant ("Mrs. Jones, where is your nearest wall plug?...."Don't let little Johnny trip over the cord!"......"Do you have an outside plug on the patio?"......"Oops, I'm sorry my lights tripped your circuit breaker."...etc.)
I've seen two laudatory full-length articles on the Mobilights (by Joe Farace in "Shutterbug," March '05; and by Bob Shell, January, '03). Yet I've found no other mentions in my research. Adorama and Porter's sell them, with the full line of JTL softboxes, grids, stands, etc. But local camera-store people sneer at them ("cheap," "made in China").
I've exhausted this forum, I believe, in searching for references to this system.
So, what's wrong with JTL Mobilights? Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with them?

I wish I knew the answer - I've been looking at buying something too - thanks for asking - I'll be following along here - btw welcome to the forum :)

I personally use Hensel lights and I've been very happy with them. I haven't run into an issue with finding a plug, but you do have to watch for the cords. We set them up as slaves so that the flash triggers the lights and it is more comfortable to photography without the camera being hooked into the strobes. The battery sounds good in theory, but I would worry about it running out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back