Jules Richard stereoscopic camera

Dany

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Jules Richard has been a French camera manufacturer very active between circa 1893 and 1955
It is mainly known by collectors for its large range of sophisticated stereoscopic cameras called Verascope.
I would like to show you a simple stereoscopic camera created by this manufacturer and named Glyphoscope.
Glyphoscopes are format 45x107 mm stereoscopic cameras using plates
Today, I have the chance to have on my shelves the type 1,2 and 3 according to the classification given in the McKeown's guide. These versions were released circa 1905.

The type 1 and 2 have molded bodies made in a material called "ivoirine" at the time (in fact some sort of bakelite)

Type 1:

Jules Richard - Le Glyphoscope type 1 small 005.jpg

Type 2:

Jules Richard - Glyphoscope type 2 small 002.jpg

The type 3 has similar shape but with a wooden body covered with leatherette The leather is normally black but some colored versions have been released. Mine is dark green.

Type 3 :

Jules Richard - Glyphoscope type 3 small  004.jpg

These cameras have a very astute feature. The metallic front of the camera that is housing the shutter only may be easely removed from the body and the camera can then be used as a stereoscopic viewer.

Jules Richard - Glyphoscope type 2.jpg

Dany

Last edited:
Very nice.

I remember the first time I saw a stereo image. It was amazing to see the features come to life.
I have a slight obsession with stereographic photos. The obsession started at an antique store with the funky viewer and 25 images. I have since been buying images. I only buy the photo type. There are so many unusual and interesting images to explore.

Very nice, have you ever used any of them ? Ilford would cut the film if you asked during their annual ULF campaign

There's a famous rock guitarist heavily into Stereo cameras, Brian something maybe :D I went to a slide show of colour Stereo pictures about 30 years ago and the images were stunning.

I'd like a large format stereo camera and have some ideas to explore, I have two 203mm f7.7 Ektars but one's US made. the other UK and I don't think they will be a close enough match, the UK one is in a Prontor SVS #0 shutter, the US version is unusual as it in a #1 Graphic Compur (so focus register is different anyway).

Ian

You find some of the most interesting cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back