Junior Prom Portrait for C&C

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

Took this last week for a friend's daughter's junior prom. Please let me know what you think.

It was taken in a backyard. I had one monolight camera right and a silver reflector camera left and close to the subject.

3538cbn.jpg

Thanks,
Danny

It's a nice shot; the only two niggles that I can see are: Your key looks like it was about 1/3 stop too hot, and I would have tried to clear away the hair from her left eye. Repositioning the reflector so get a little more light into her eyes wouldn't hurt.

It's a nice shot; the only two niggles that I can see are: Your key looks like it was about 1/3 stop too hot, and I would have tried to clear away the hair from her left eye. Repositioning the reflector so get a little more light into her eyes wouldn't hurt.

I thought so too from the original version of this shot. Her left arm was actually a little brighter than this. I did some slight burning in PS to darken it up a bit up a bit. I was actually thinking of asking to clear her hair from her eyes, but she had just gotten back from the beauty salon and well, we all know how girls are, especially at 17 with that kind of stuff so I left it alone.

Thanks for the feedback.

Danny

Other than what tirediron said i can't see much wrong with the lighting, the only thing i would have had her do is maybe to a more natural smile almost feels like shes forcing it. Great work!

Quick tip: Use the part in your subject's hair, to determine which side to place your main light. By placing your main light on your right side (her left) you are causing her hair to cast a shadow over her forehead. If you had placed the main light on the other side (where her part is) you can mostly alleviate that problem.

Also, you are using a broad lighting pattern (you are lighting the side of the face that is closest to the camera). In many cases, it's more flattering to use 'short' lighting (light the side of the face that is away from the camera).

So if she kept this same pose, you could have done both things by just moving the light to the other side.

I'd also move the light up just a bit. It looks like it was about head height and you usually want it a little bit higher than that.

Other than what tirediron said i can't see much wrong with the lighting, the only thing i would have had her do is maybe to a more natural smile almost feels like shes forcing it. Great work!

Thanks! This was my my real shoot and I was so concerned with the technical aspects of it, I didn't really pay much attention to those details. I will definitely next time.

Danny

Quick tip: Use the part in your subject's hair, to determine which side to place your main light. By placing your main light on your right side (her left) you are causing her hair to cast a shadow over her forehead. If you had placed the main light on the other side (where her part is) you can mostly alleviate that problem.

Also, you are using a broad lighting pattern (you are lighting the side of the face that is closest to the camera). In many cases, it's more flattering to use 'short' lighting (light the side of the face that is away from the camera).

So if she kept this same pose, you could have done both things by just moving the light to the other side.

I'd also move the light up just a bit. It looks like it was about head height and you usually want it a little bit higher than that.

Thanks for the tips. The light was about head high. I'll be doing another shoot this weekend for another friend and I'll keep these things in mind.

Danny

Most reactions

New Topics

Back