Jupiter In The Night Sky

DennyCrane

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, Jupiter is about at it's closest to Earth for the whole year. Soon, it'll start moving off and other planets will dominate the night sky. So, get yer long lens out and have at it. This was a 1/60 exposure, ISO 200, and f/5.6 with a 300mm focal length on the Canon. I also shot some with my Nikon FE, a 500mm prime and a 2x teleconverter... we'll see about those later.

Jupiter9-13-10.jpg

The only post done was a little brightening on the moons to bring them out.

that's cool, you can even see the moons around it!

Cool! If only it were not so freaking rainy and cloudy here I would be heading outside to view...lol

Badass.

That is all.

300mm! What the heck. I was looking at Jupiter the other night with a 700mm telescope with a 3x eyepiece and still couldn't see it that big! My 300mm Sigma won't even fill the frame with the moon!

Are you sure it was only 300mm, lol. WTF. Is the mega pixels? You can blow yours up more?

That's a crop from a 15.1mp picture.

Thanks, all! Jupiter is almost like the moon in that it's very bright and you have to be careful not to overexpose if you want more than a smudge- then you have to worry about losing her moons.

Denny... i can do that with photoshop LOL JK.. Thats so cool! How do you know where it is (for people who have no idea with astronomy).

Denny... i can do that with photoshop LOL JK.. Thats so cool! How do you know where it is (for people who have no idea with astronomy).
Right now, it's the brightest light in the sky. Planets don't twinkle like stars, so look in the east after sunset and as the night goes on, it'll move west.

Also, if you want a really cool program, stellarium.com has an open source program (free) that will show you exactly what's in the night sky anywhere on Earth at any time. It'll show the stars and planets labeled and even let you zoom in.

Hey. I tried this, with very similar gear to yours - the results are... meh. It's a 100% crop. The moons weren't lined up as pretty for me...

4992073774_2bb96dc30b_b.jpg

Hey. I tried this, with very similar gear to yours - the results are... meh. It's a 100% crop. The moons weren't lined up as pretty for me...

4992073774_2bb96dc30b_b.jpg

Still a good shot. Its fun to test the cameras limits. Both shots are good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back