KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At least as a schematic, showing a photodiode, 3 MOSFET transistors, and 2 voltage sources.

The key element is the photodiode (indicated by the 2 siggly arrows) since it is what is affected by how much light hits it. This would be a CMOS pixel. Put 12,000,000 to 18,000,000 more of these schematics on a sensor chip behind a Bayer Array to generate color info, and an anti-aliasing/low pass filter.

Add some other dodads like an low-noise amplifier array and an analog-to-digital converter and you can send image data to an on-camera image processor to at least de-mosaic the data, interpolate the Bayer Array influence and then write the results of all the number crunching to a memory card.

563px-Aps_pd_pixel_schematic_svg.png

File:Aps pd pixel schematic.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I, Gargan, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

Uh huh. Difficult to know how to respond to this. Is it some ticked off inventor who wants to share a technology that some camera maker has stolen?

hmmmm. Not sure what to do with this info, hahahaha... But thanks for taking the time to share!

Kinda cool. Crazy to think that 12 million+ of those make a picture.

I can only understand about half of it, but it certainly helps to put into perspective just how complex the engineering is once you get past the superficial exterior of the cameras. Also makes you appreciate how relatively inexpensive the cameras are given the level of complexities!

Sorry, film grain is just not comparable.

We can discuss the differences between Johnson-Nyquist image noise (thermal), shot noise (quantum), and amplifier signal-to-noise ratio, but film grain is just a size issue. :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back