Just a dum question ??

jamesparker1250

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone used a bird feeder to attract birds so you can take pictures of them.

Coastalconn dresses like fish to capture photos of his osprey and dresses like moles for red tailed hawks. Lol

In the past I would use feeders when capturing photos of birds. I have nice perches near the feeders for them to sit on.

Absolutely. When I started doing bird photography, just a couple of years ago, I had ZERO feeders in my yard. Now, I have 8, plus a birdbath I just put out. :D
Finch feeders, regular feeders, hummingbird feeders...

Just don't expect to hang a feeder and have birds within hours or even days. It can take weeks or longer. For instance, I put hummer feeders out this year--but it may be summer, or even NEXT year, before I finally get hummingbirds
That said, this is a GREAT time of year to put them out. Birds are migrating now and it can be a great time to attract interesting ones to your yard.

I set my feeders up in such a way that there are always natural "staging" areas for the birds around the feeder--a place for them to land and "wait their turn" for the feeder. That gives me great opportunities to get good shots of them without having the manmade feeder in the picture.

Do some research. What kind of birds are likely to be in your area, and what kind of seeds/food do they like? Black oil sunflower seeds are always a good choice for a lot of different birds, but then for finches you might also want thistle, or mealworms for bluebirds and other species. Oranges are a big attraction for orioles, so I hear. I've not yet managed to attract any of those to my yard, but they aren't real common here anyway.

hummingbird feeders will be installed this year !!
also specific flowers & plants that they are attracted to.

it's just easier than trying to go where every they go to.
plus it will make my yard look better

I have no chance of attracting bald eagles or ospreys though.

Thx guys I put one up Saturday and already a few of the locals came around to feed .Hopefully more will com around.

I started to say there are no dumb questions but......

Has anyone used a bird feeder to attract birds so you can take pictures of them.

Yes. In fact, decades ago, I saw someone who built his bird feeder. And then he build a camera housing next to it. He'd put his camera in there, pre-focus and expose to the spot of the feed, connect to cable release and he'd be shooting the birds from a camera that was 2 feet away (while he sat in the comfort of his living room about 30 feet away). Now days, you'd just use wireless release to achieve the safe result.

hummingbird feeders will be installed this year !!
also specific flowers & plants that they are attracted to.

it's just easier than trying to go where every they go to.
plus it will make my yard look better

Man those little guys are so hard to shot. I had to build a hideout to get the shot.

i haven't. and don't have much for bird photos. i looked at wild bird seed in the store the other day. it was ten bucks a bag. i thought about it, but then i decided not to. i just don't want the photos bad enough to spend money on bird food every week like i buy the dog food every week. lol
i might break down and give in, who knows...

Nope. Never. That would be cheating.

Here's a photo I took of a bunch of goldfinches enjoying the remains of some strange, dead animal.

TheGangsAllHere_2367Post.jpg

You can clearly see they've picked all the flesh off, exposing several ribs. Now they're gorging themselves on the internal organs.

Nope. Never. That would be cheating.

Here's a photo I took of a bunch of goldfinches enjoying the remains of some strange, dead animal.

You can clearly see they've picked all the flesh off, exposing several ribs. Now they're gorging themselves on the internal organs.

So you fed those homeland security guys to the birds? Wow.. very.. Hitchcockian really. It's sick. Twisted. Maniacal. Yes, I must admit I'm jealous. Golfer clap my friend. Golfer clap. Job well done.

So you fed those homeland security guys to the birds? Wow.. very.. Hitchcockian really. It's sick. Twisted. Maniacal. Yes, I must admit I'm jealous. Golfer clap my friend. Golfer clap. Job well done.

I will dispose of the bones by placing them in the drones I just shot down.

Most reactions

Back