PhotoHobbyist127 153
No longer a newbie, moving up!
- Joined
- Jan 18, 2021
- Messages
- 572
- Reaction score
- 1,283
- Location
- Georgia, USA
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
I put out a bird feeder 10 weeks ago, and have a regular winter crew now. I have about a dozen species. The Downy Woodpecker, Carolina Wren, and White-Breasted Nuthatch made brief stops and never returned. The rest are regulars. I omitted the troublesome sparrows and mockingbirds.
I capture birds with a motion detect camera (Canon SX260, 20X zoom, with CHDK firmware that has a motion detection feature). I made montages using Gimp with GMIC plugin. GMIC has automatic montage feature.
Currently, I feed safflower seeds to get rid of the sparrows as they hate it. Safflower is eaten by cardinals, house finch, chickadee, and titmice. On a smaller feeder I put out a handful of sunflower kernels each morning to keep the bluebirds, nuthatches, goldfinches, and eastern phoebe coming around. This method has gotten rid of the sparrow flock that would empty my entire feeder in a day when I used mixed feed.
I capture birds with a motion detect camera (Canon SX260, 20X zoom, with CHDK firmware that has a motion detection feature). I made montages using Gimp with GMIC plugin. GMIC has automatic montage feature.
Currently, I feed safflower seeds to get rid of the sparrows as they hate it. Safflower is eaten by cardinals, house finch, chickadee, and titmice. On a smaller feeder I put out a handful of sunflower kernels each morning to keep the bluebirds, nuthatches, goldfinches, and eastern phoebe coming around. This method has gotten rid of the sparrow flock that would empty my entire feeder in a day when I used mixed feed.
Last edited:
