just a quick bit of excitement...

SrBiscuit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
yay!
my nikon refurb'd D90 arrived yesterday in FLAWLESS condition. ordered from Cameta and arrived very well packed in about 3 days. everything was sealed and happy. i havent yet looked for a total shutter count.

so far im LOVING the upgrade from the D1x. of course, im missing the probody size and weight, so today i ordered the Meike grip and 2 batteries from ado. (it's on special right now for 59.95 with free shipping if anyones in the mkt).

so far the ONLY thing that im not used to, is that the metering doesnt show up on the top LCD. this may be an option, but i have yet to find it. i really liked being able to meter at a glance with the top LCD of the D1x, but if it's not possible i'll get used to it.

i have a shoot next sunday, and i know i'll also be missing the sync port too, but my cactus v4s have the mini port, so i should be good.

that's it. just wanted to welcome the D90 to my bag. :D

Congrats! I also got my D90 from Cameta also and it arrived with a 198 shutter count. Thats almost a dollar saved per shutter release! Not a bad deal!

indeed!

and im also EXTRA pleased now to learn that my shutter count as of my last photo is 633.

and to think...i was debating paying $650 for a body with 25,000

FYI I think the metering shows up in live view mode, never use it cause it draines the battery

How do you get the shutter count, I looked in the manuel and I could not find it?

Awesome! I'm a new d90 user also, welcome to the club lol

thanks thats interesting, so that info is embeded in the actual pic.

let us know how you like the Meike grip, that looks like a killer deal, even for just the 2 battteries its worth it!

i'll def report back here when it arrives. i'm hoping it'll be here early this coming week.

Congrats man! Try not to render it useless from salivating over it. :) New gear is always a blast, and I am sure the tech in the camera is a bit of a jump (even if it's a prosumer body, and not like a D1x).

thanks tyler!
i wrapped it in plastic during the whole drooling process. the tech is DEF a huge upgrade, so i'm still trying to get everything set the way i like it. i am noticing that the colors from the D1x do still appear to be very appealing, but i'm thinking that i just got used to it. I'm really looking forward to jumping in headlong this weekend and using it for a shoot.

oh and i played with the video this weekend....holy ****, what a buncha fun that'll be to have. messing with the 50 1.8 and video was pretty sweet, and i'm thrilled with the results. if i edit anything together i'll toss is up on my tumblr. :D

if anyone has any tips, or what they have found to be the best settings for the 90, i'd love to hear. :thumbup:

Wow, I don't know where I've been. I just noticed now you have tumblr. So I stahted followin' yeh. :thumbup:

ha!
no sweat man...i just set it up a couple weeks ago...and i found you thru that other thread about photoblogs, so ize followin you too...awwwwwwwwww what a love fest.

I finally got my grip last week in 3 days from Amazon for really cheap.

They quoted 1-2 weeks delivery but it was at work address in 3 business days (very impressed) along with a third party battery for the grip 6$.
Total order delivered was $54.96 and the quality of the grip is up there, I dont think anyone would be able to tell the difference between a Nikon and the knock off unless they would be comparing them side by side.

Before ordering I've read a bunch of reviews on the third party grips and most users were complaining about the button and the lock wheel which apparently has a raddle. I decided to take a chance for 40$ and see how it goes and my 1st experience with the grip is good, dont have any issues with the button however the lock wheel does have a little raddle, however it was fixed with a tiny bit of foam tape. I never had the chance to play with a Nikon grip but I think its safe to assume the locking wheel is similar if not the same as the cheaper knockoffs.

Grip and third party battery

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So, I was thrilled today that the Meike grip from Adorama came today with the 2 battery packs. I ordered it Friday, and this is what...Tuesday? Damn good for free shipping in my book! Thanks, Adorama :hugs:

Now I should preface this with the fact that I have never handled the official Nikon grip for the D80/90.

My initial reaction is that this thing is diesel. The construction feels solid, it has a VERY similar feeling rubber grip to it that the D1x has, and since I had gotten very used to that, I was pleased that this grip shared that feature. One of the other grips I looked at had the smooth rubber grip area, and this one seems to match the finish of the D90 well. Aesthetically anyway.

The vertical shutter release feels a LOT like that of my previous Nikon bodies in both size and "squishiness" (to be technical lol). The fact that it also has the vertical shutter lock feature is also a plus. Both the main and sub command dials will make for perfect vertical shooting, which is another thing I absolutely loved about the D1x. (sorry I keep comparing the 2, it's just that I wound up so in love with the pro body of the D1x, I was hesitant to go back to a more compact body...but this grip has me exactly where I want to be.)

No issues getting the grip on at all...the screw bit easily, and locks on pretty tight. Of course it's only been 8 hours or so, but we'll see how it holds up over the coming weeks. I may go out and get some of the foam tape like others have done just to seal up where the body and grip meet.

In initial testing, no issues with either of the command dials, shutter button, or AE/AF lock. The battery door seems to work flawlessly, and the batteries are locked in there with 2 little spring tabs. A simple push to the outside of these tabs release the batteries. The grip also came with the AA adapter which could be handy in a pinch, but with 3 batteries, I don't see it getting much use.

The batteries were not nikon, but took a charge and fit well in the grip. Only time will tell how long they hold a charge for. I don't expect the performance of the Nikon battery, so I won't be heartbroken. The grip works on one battery, as I imagine most would.

So, my conclusion...if you're in the market for a grip for your D90/D80, and dont want the Nikon price tag, by ALL means, get this grip from adorama. It was $59.95 and came with 2 batteries. For as solid as construction is, and the features of the shutter lock, AE/AF lock, dual dials...I don't know...I'm not sure that deal can be beaten.

Sorry for being so verbose. I tend to get psyched about new gear. ;)

Here are some pics...

5511160532_99388db58f.jpg

5511160852_9584a5785b.jpg

5511161186_cbee8e0177.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back