Just a quick message for the beginners (and pros as well)

What chrisburke said....

I commented in a similar thread a while ago about how people were posting a list of 20 or so pictures, then at the end asking, "what do you think?"

"Ah, yeah, I think that's a lot of pictures....."

I doubt it was from my comment, but I do see much less of the posting of 20 photos in a single thread.

If you want to learn from your critiqued photos, the best way is to critique it yourself. After your critique can no longer improve your own photo, then post a shot or up to 3 similar shots and ask for a specific area of critique. It's much easier to critique a photo when there is a certain area of question about the photo. Just reading and learning on the forum here an across the web about photography will solve many of the "it's over/under exposed, it's out of focus, it's not very interesting" comments of critiques.

Indeed, do not pull the camera out of the box for the first time, and come here to ask for critique on your first 5 images taken with the camera. There is a mountain of information to learn by just reading this forum that will teach you far faster than sitting waiting for someone to comment on the 2nd shot from your camera ever.

I haven't posted many photos on here myself. I am here to read this section and the "beyond beginners" section to learn about pretty much everything since I had no idea about any of it when I bought my camera. I've taken 6000+ shots on my camera now since last December, and I already know what is wrong or not with every one of them without posting a photo for critique just from learning while reading the forum. As I read more and try stuff like "meter the sky outdoors" or "meter your hand" and learn more about the functions of a camera, my photos improve constantly. I was at a hockey game, and a few weeks afterwards, learned a bit more on this forum that would have helped me tremendously at the game. All without posting a list of 20 photos here and asking at the end, "what do you think?"

"don't let the bastards grind you down" is what google told me... guess it was coined in WW2

Illegitimi non carborundum is a mock-Latin aphorism jokingly taken to mean "don't let the bastards grind you down"

ROFL! One to add to my list, then!
"Ne illegitimi carbunculi tibi in facie sint"

:lmao::lol:

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124812

Above is a thread of a noob with a "first pictures from camera out the box"

In this case the noob picked up a few idea's without disturbing anyone's life. Was he lazy? This is matter of opinion depending on one persons particular style of learning.

Did people out there bothered by this type of poster have to respond? NO..

Did somebody out there with a little extra time on their hand help this student? YES..

Will this student most likely be inspired to continue their improvement? YES..

Will this student most likely be inclined to help others when he becomes more knowlegable? PROBABLY YES..

Sometime noobs are sooooo noob.. they have yet to realize they must buy books and do serious study to take great images. Sometimes people incorrectly think because they have just bought a great DSLR that it will take great images on their behalf.

I thought this..... I got into photography because of the birth of my son and general disappointment with my point and shoot. I've never posted pictures out of the box like the above link.... but I did have a certain expectation of my new camera's image quality and was surprised to find out the great cameras don't take great images... great photographers take great images...

I've been having a problem lately of people annoyed by the attached thread. It is not incumbent upon anyone here to respond. The people who choose to help will help. The people who choose to move on will move on.

Just food for thought..

Today I was quite frusterated that no one else commented on the photos I posted. And that got me thinking...how many times have I commented on someone elses photos. Hmmm, about the same numberas people have commented on mine.

I guess I feel that because I am learning, what I say might not be "correct." But you know what, if a picture makes me say Oh, I like that! Wow, thats incedible! Oh, geez, that could really use some work on the exposure or composition. Or that subject doesn't appeal to me at all -- I'm gonna say it.

I know we all have busy lives, but for the amount of time I come here and browse, what would it take for me to spend 5 mins and give a little C&C. Nothing, at all.

So for all you new people who want some feedback, who want advice on what camera to buy, which lens to get, how to break into wedding photography or anything else, make sure you give something back as well.
I'm sure even the seasoned pros around here would like to get a few comments on the photographs they post.

ps - Thanks to everyone who provides such great information on this site. Hope I can return the favor in some way, some day. And expect to see me posting a lot more in the future.

Please refer to one of the numerous other threads complaining about lack of people commenting on photos. :er:

Ah, interesting where this has gone. I guess my message was lost in translation.

I really posted this as a little wake up to the noobs, like me. Not as a cry for people to look at and comment on my pictures. That was not my intention at all.

I just seemed to notice how soooo many of the noobs ONLY post to ask questions (which I agree, many can figure out with a search) or to post pictures.

Most of the noobs NEVER comment on other pictures. They never give suggestions or advice to anyone. They just want to take take take. And in order for a forum to work, I believe that everyone needs to contribute.

Why should anyone expect feedback if they dont give it to others?

By saying that I was going to take the time to comment, I was not trying to say that anyone else should. Just that I want to be a contributing part of the disscussions here, and not just another noob who wants wants wants.

Because I am an Extreme Noob, I post (waterfalls/flowers etc) because I really value yours and others opinions.

I also try and comment on some Photos, to see if I am correct and am actually learning.

I logged on today, created 2 C/C threads, (ahh yes, 1 with a waterfall)
then clicked new posts and found this one.

I am sorry if being a noob and asking questions and looking for C/C of the same things is tiresome for some, but that is the reason I joined here.
To learn and hopefully to improve enough to be able to then return the favour and help others to learn and improve.

hey, I am one of those "just took my very first DSLR out of the box last week" people. I have not posted up any images yet because I am not looking for anyone to critique my images. I am trying to figure out that portion on my own.
I am fully aware of how new I am to photography. In fact, I am so new that I fall into the category of the newbie that needs the books. And I've ordered them.

The first time I ever picked up a DSLR (I had never even touched a SLR, EVER), within 10 minutes, I think I was taking shots that I consider not bad. Sure, I was not used to a viewfinder, so I was chopping things off in my pics, but I KNOW I have an eye for photography. It just isn't as developed as those that have been taking pics for years and years and years. I also know that I know more today, then I yesterday. I DEFINITELY know more than I did last week when I got my very first DSLR. I'm learning more everyday. And the ideas keep growing.

But what is most disheartening to me is that, say I didn't learn the way I learn. Say I wanted to take pics straight out of the box and post the first one, and ask for feedback? Well, crap, now I know that annoys the piss out of at least a couple old-timers here. Not only do I now have a feeling that if I post images and ask for corrective criticism that I'm annoying people, but now I feel like my seriousness for photography is being judged.
Well, now, that kind of sucks. Because I thought this was the Beginners Place. I thought this was kind of the purpose of this area of the boards?

How are we, as beginners (those of us that are beginners, that is), going to feel comfortable asking basic questions without feeling stupid, if we now know that posting images and asking for feedback is annoying some of the old-timers here?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if I posted an image I took and said, "Hey guys, this is what my camera was set at for this photo, could you tell me what I could do to improve this photo, or future similar photos?" is that ok?
And, believe me, I think I can speak for myself (even as a newbie) and say that if someone gives me advice, if I don't understand the advice given, I'll ask for further explanation.

And as far as giving feedback as a newbie, well, since I don't know what I'm really talking about in photography terms, I don't see what I have to say being very useful. That's not to say that I won't compliment an image that I really like, but I surely cannot, at this point, tell an old-timer how to improve a pic.

I do not generally comment because I'm not very confident in my knowledge yet, so it's not that I don't want to take the time to do so. I don't really post much either for the same reason. I will look through the photos and read the comments that others put so that I can learn, and every now and then I will comment on what I think might be wrong or right. Sometimes I will say that I really like their photo, and I try to tell them why (if I know why).

If you are not getting the comments you need, then bump your post asking for more comments. Some people might not have time today, but might tomorrow, and some people just look over posts accidentally.

How are we, as beginners (those of us that are beginners, that is), going to feel comfortable asking basic questions without feeling stupid...

I know that I use this analogy a lot, but we all want to be NASCAR drivers, but some of us are having issues knowing the difference between a steering wheel and a clutch.

The basics are the basics are the basics. The basics do not cahnge for ANYONE. We ALL should know them. The info on where we can learn about the basics are placed in people's sigs, stickies, FAQs, the search button, google, youtube, books and a million other places.

Once you have the basics down, you are at least SEMI ready to accept info on CC well enough to understand what is being critiqued and how to improve based on the C&C.

How's that? :)

hey, I am one of those "just took my very first DSLR out of the box last week" people. I have not posted up any images yet because I am not looking for anyone to critique my images. I am trying to figure out that portion on my own.
I am fully aware of how new I am to photography. In fact, I am so new that I fall into the category of the newbie that needs the books. And I've ordered them.

The first time I ever picked up a DSLR (I had never even touched a SLR, EVER), within 10 minutes, I think I was taking shots that I consider not bad. Sure, I was not used to a viewfinder, so I was chopping things off in my pics, but I KNOW I have an eye for photography. It just isn't as developed as those that have been taking pics for years and years and years. I also know that I know more today, then I yesterday. I DEFINITELY know more than I did last week when I got my very first DSLR. I'm learning more everyday. And the ideas keep growing.

But what is most disheartening to me is that, say I didn't learn the way I learn. Say I wanted to take pics straight out of the box and post the first one, and ask for feedback? Well, crap, now I know that annoys the piss out of at least a couple old-timers here. Not only do I now have a feeling that if I post images and ask for corrective criticism that I'm annoying people, but now I feel like my seriousness for photography is being judged.
Well, now, that kind of sucks. Because I thought this was the Beginners Place. I thought this was kind of the purpose of this area of the boards?

How are we, as beginners (those of us that are beginners, that is), going to feel comfortable asking basic questions without feeling stupid, if we now know that posting images and asking for feedback is annoying some of the old-timers here?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if I posted an image I took and said, "Hey guys, this is what my camera was set at for this photo, could you tell me what I could do to improve this photo, or future similar photos?" is that ok?
And, believe me, I think I can speak for myself (even as a newbie) and say that if someone gives me advice, if I don't understand the advice given, I'll ask for further explanation.

And as far as giving feedback as a newbie, well, since I don't know what I'm really talking about in photography terms, I don't see what I have to say being very useful. That's not to say that I won't compliment an image that I really like, but I surely cannot, at this point, tell an old-timer how to improve a pic.

There is just a huge range of people on this forum. Some that only want to see professional style photos, and some that like to see the beginner photos so that they can help. I think for some of the advanced photographers (if I'm allowed to call someone a photographer), it is hard for them to distinguish between a person seriously needing help from someone that just doesn't want to give an effort. I may take a photo and post it, and it may have obvious mistakes, and some may view that as being lazy, when in reality I tried my best with the knowledge I have.

I do think beginners need to try to keep their photos in the beginner section of the forum though. I have seen some post them in the pro or intermediate sections.

I think if you are trying and are learning, you should be encouraged to post your photos. I would like to see them, as the comments and critique help me as well.

I know that I use this analogy a lot, but we all want to be NASCAR drivers, but some of us are having issues knowing the difference between a steering wheel and a clutch.

The basics are the basics are the basics. The basics do not cahnge for ANYONE. We ALL should know them. The info on where we can learn about the basics are placed in people's sigs, stickies, FAQs, the search button, google, youtube, books and a million other places.

Once you have the basics down, you are at least SEMI ready to accept info on CC well enough to understand what is being critiqued and how to improve based on the C&C.

How's that? :)

Oh, ok, I think I got it.:D
So, basically, you're saying like, we should be AT LEAST a "Beginner level II" before posting pics and asking for CC.

The basics are the basics are the basics. The basics do not cahnge for ANYONE. We ALL should know them. The info on where we can learn about the basics are placed in people's sigs, stickies, FAQs, the search button, google, youtube, books and a million other

To a certain extent I do agree. But, the basics are not as easy as just reading a book, or reading a googled article (at least not for me). I read Understanding Exposure, and the Digital Photography book. I also have been on this forum for the past two months reading almost everything that has been posted. Each time when I feel like I am getting the basics down, someone will post something that looks good to me, and then the person doing the critique points out something that is so obvious (now that they have pointed it out), but nothing covered in what I read. Not everything is going to be covered in reading material, even some basic stuff, and that is what experience is for. Part of the experience process is posting a photo and having it critiqued.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back