Just bored now...

Intothedeep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am at almost a DEAD STOP with the business, I feel bored. I have gone out and taken photos of everything around me in different angels, and I am ready for something new... How do I get out of this slump!:grumpy:

You may need to figure out if it's for you or not. I don't think I've ever felt bored with photography, my camera feels like an extension of myself. I may have found it tricky to get a good photo of something, or had pictures not turn out as well as I liked, etc. but I've loved being out using my camera as long as I can remember (bought my first camera after graduating from college).

From what I remember you've posted about not being a beginner anymore but also have talked about clients - maybe it's too soon to be thinking about photography as a business and you'll need to decide if you have the passion for it. It's okay I think if it continues to be a hobby that you do from time to time. Maybe a break from it isn't a bad idea and then see if you come back refreshed.

How do I get out of this slump!:grumpy:

If you mean as a hobby interest then you do something OTHER than photography. Too much of a good thing can lead to being bored of it. You've simply overloaded yourself and burned yourself out; something new, different and fresh often helps engage the brain again and sparks off a renewed vigour. From there you can come back to photography as and when you wish to.

If you mean as a business then you've got to get your priorities in order; a small slump of boredom is not abnormal; but unlike a hobby you can't just drop it whenever. Sometimes you have to work through the slumps and just slog it out for a while.

Read a book... maybe not of an artist - but a book on creative photography.It may offer some different insights and make you want to shoot something AGAIN but with a different perspective.

Go out with a lens you don't use much. Take all the photos again with THAT lens. You'll find new things!

You may need to figure out if it's for you or not. I don't think I've ever felt bored with photography, my camera feels like an extension of myself. I may have found it tricky to get a good photo of something, or had pictures not turn out as well as I liked, etc. but I've loved being out using my camera as long as I can remember (bought my first camera after graduating from college).

From what I remember you've posted about not being a beginner anymore but also have talked about clients - maybe it's too soon to be thinking about photography as a business and you'll need to decide if you have the passion for it. It's okay I think if it continues to be a hobby that you do from time to time. Maybe a break from it isn't a bad idea and then see if you come back refreshed.

another reason i cant stand tripods, i feel to separated from the process having the camera sitting on one instead of in my hand.

im bored too, but mostly . im just looking for that special "one" photo. Not any photo. something SPECIAL. just for me. too make me smile.

May not be boredom as much as trying to figure out what direction to go with it.

If I set up a tripod I'd probably just wander away from it. That's the thing, figuring out your style and what you want to do next.

I am at almost a DEAD STOP with the business, I feel bored. I have gone out and taken photos of everything around me in different angels, and I am ready for something new... How do I get out of this slump!:grumpy:

A bacon necklace, 4 pitbulls who haven't been fed for several days, a set of track shoes - great opportunity to get some action shots plus test your panning skills all in one.

Ok, seriously though, one of the many reasons I've never wanted to become a working "pro" is because I really don't want photography to be a part time/full time job for me, I want it to be a hobby. Having it as a job adds in just all sorts of things that I'd rather do without. As others have suggested, maybe a break would be a good idea. If you can set the camera down for a while and let your own internal batteries recharge.

How do I get out of this slump!:grumpy:

If you mean as a hobby interest then you do something OTHER than photography. Too much of a good thing can lead to being bored of it. You've simply overloaded yourself and burned yourself out; something new, different and fresh often helps engage the brain again and sparks off a renewed vigour. From there you can come back to photography as and when you wish to.

If you mean as a business then you've got to get your priorities in order; a small slump of boredom is not abnormal; but unlike a hobby you can't just drop it whenever. Sometimes you have to work through the slumps and just slog it out for a while.

You have a great point. I take my camera everywhere, when I first started the "business" side of things not I feel like maybe I need a hobby, becuase I have fill my month with shoots and sessions weekly and editing all the time.. No time for myself. HMMMMM time for some wine, chocolate, and a new make over!

When I get bored of it, I try something new. I buy another film camera, or a different lens for my film cameras, or just drive around and take pictures of crap with my film stuff. My 7D is a business tool for the most part-sure, I find it more inspiring than any other digital camera I've owned, but it's a far cry from the feeling I get with my Nikon F or Franka Rolfix.

I have two pro photogs working for me, and I vowed to never do it myself commercially. Instead of worrying about having fun, you need to start pulling doors. If you're out of work, you're not trying hard enough. Pull the doors of web developers, pr firms, magazines, local newspapers, advertising firms.... there are so many ways to get business. Go get it.

im confused. In 1 you say you are at a dead stop in business, and have all this time.
in 8 you say you have no time, all these sessions and not time for yourself and need a makeover.

I think I stopped taking this seriously right there, unless im misreading something..

im confused. In 1 you say you are at a dead stop in business, and have all this time.
in 8 you say you have no time, all these sessions and not time for yourself and need a makeover.

I think I stopped taking this seriously right there, unless im misreading something..

I have a cold 24 pack in the fridge. You should come over and wait for this damn tornado with me.

I have a cold 24 pack in the fridge. You should come over and wait for this damn tornado with me.
microbrew again?
if you were closer I probably would...

microbrew again?
if you were closer I probably would...

nothing special. just blue moon. I'm getting bored of photography, so i'm trying to get wound up by a nado to take some dorothy pics. no disrespect to those that lost their lives last night

I was finding this somewhat confusing too, and there's more than one Focal Memories. But I think I found the right one, I recognize some of the photos from being posted on here. I think the comments might have been addressing what I feel like I'm seeing - that there are technical issues with many of the photos. That might be why you feel like you're at a standstill, you might need to think about what you still need to learn and work on with your photos more than the business aspect of it for now.

Tornados again tonight - stay safe and I hope you don't see the wicked witch out there flying around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back