just bought a 85mm 1.8d Nikon....should I have ....

binga63

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just bought a Nikon 85 mm f1.8 d for $350 Aud from ebay... I think I did ok... cannot wait for it to arrive

People were pushing me to buy the Samyang 85 mm f1.4 which was the same price brand new

should I have listened?

Just bought a Nikon 85 mm f1.8 d for $350 Aud from ebay... I think I did ok... cannot wait for it to arrive

People were pushing me to buy the Samyang 85 mm f1.4 which was the same price brand new

should I have listened?

The Samyang 85 has pretty decent optics, but no focus motor. I think the f/1.8D will serve you better if you have a focus motor in your body, if you don't, the Samyang might have been nice... But I am not sure if it stops down the aperture for you, or if you have to do it before taking the shot. Same goes for the f/1.8D because I don't shoot Nikon.

I wouldn't have! I found the 50mm f1.8D a great savings over the 50mm f1.4 and just as useful and functional. I go buy the guideline of "If I can't define Exactly why I need (that in this case (f1.4 vs. f1.8) then I probably don't need too. And will not see or require the difference.

Your assuming you need f1.4? or that it somehow a better lens because of that? Like I said if you can't define it then you are more than likely fine with your decision.

Yep neither will AF on the Nikon entry cameras like the D3xxx or D5xxx series cameras.

Use it.

If you don't like it, sell it and try another.

Repeat if necessary...

I wouldn't have! I found the 50mm f1.8D a great savings over the 50mm f1.4 and just as useful and functional. I go buy the guideline of "If I can't define Exactly why I need (that in this case (f1.4 vs. f1.8) then I probably don't need too. And will not see or require the difference.

Your assuming you need f1.4? or that it somehow a better lens because of that? Like I said if you can't define it then you are more than likely fine with your decision.

Yep neither will AF on the Nikon entry cameras like the D3xxx or D5xxx series cameras.

the 50mm and 80mm are two different animals.

there is a considerable difference over the price of the 85 1.8 and 85 1.4. I think the OP did well with what he got and he can resell and make his money back easily in the event he wants to upgrade to the 85 1.4

also, I currently use the 50mm 1.4D, and my body does not have a focus motor. It took me maybe 50 shots to figure out how to nail focus...it's not that big of a deal and it's good learning. To me, the 85mm I would use mostly for portraiture head/shoulder shots. In that case, focusing manually will not be a bother at all once you figure out how to nail it. I rarely miss on my 50 anymore.

I would have saved another $100 and purchased the 85/1.8G new. The bokeh is far better, and the sharpness and colors look a tad superior as well. If you could sell it locally for a profit, and put about $60-80 to it, it would be a great idea.

Mark

Its true, people can work with manual. Otherwise Leica would be out of business, and nobody would have managed a good photograph before the 1980s.

But when you have to work fast, like with action, or simply for convenience, autofocus is a huge help.

I have the Rokinon (Samyang) 85mm f/1.4 with the CPU and it's one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used or owned, even when compared with Nikon's f/1.4 lenses.
But being MF is its biggest disadvantage using it is when you want to catch focus quickly if that could be call a disadvantage.
I'm not too bad as I have been using MF lens since I started photography in the early 70's, but have been spoilt with all these AF lenses that are so quick and easy to use and get focus spot on.

So I also bought the new 85mm f/1.8G to fill the times when I needed an AF lens, and have been extremely happy with its sharpness and the Bokeh that is very close to the f/1.4 lenses.
But seeing that you have already bought the 85 D, just use it, as it is a great lens and does some really nice IQ.
And when you decide that it won’t do what you want then think about upgrading to either the f/1.8G or one of the f/1.4 lenses…

thanks for the opinions guys.... i own a d90... so will autofocus....funds were low ...the newer lens would have cost me more....$520+
looking forward to it arriving so i can play...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back