Help choosing a 35mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that at events, the sheer physical size of the 24 to 70 mm f/2.8 Lens works against you, in a couple of ways. the lens is quite large and heavy, and that leads to fatigue over several hours. The sheer physical size of the lens also is off-putting to some people. I think that you get better expressions from camera-shy people when you use a much smaller lens.

At some point I would like to try some more of that style of event photography. Right now it is mostly sports and I am typically using 70-200mm. Right now the lens is for set up sessions where I have small spaces.

A 35mm on full frame Shows about one foot left to right for each foot back you are from a group. The 35 mm gives you a comfortable working distance with groups of people. And with individual people as well. 35 mm is the favorite focal length of famous portrait photographer Sue Bryce. She loves her Canon 35 mm f/1.4 L.

I looked at eBay and was not impressed. B&H had a used one for $309 so it is on its way home to me now.

Agree with Derrel on all counts. I own several 35mm's from Nikon--including one over 50 years old. My D3500 and D780 both wear 35mm's as normal primes. I use this focal length a lot--versatile, rugged (Nikon), IMHO the best "normal" lens out there.
Let me add--being an old man on a fixed income as Derrel noted and I truly believe, the "D" type primes are an unsung value, in particular when they come used from folks at KEH or B&H. I've purchased 3 from those organizations and never looked back!
My advice is to shoot the prime almost always; great results and much less weight and size then a zoom. Not saying zooms aren't handy, and if you must go zoom try Nikon 24-85--several versions available.
Now for you to disagree and scold me: stay away from 3rd party glass. A Yugo engine in a Porsche would be about the same.

Last edited:
Love the 35 f/2 D

Attachments

• E974A214-5BC0-4676-AC8B-1182D7D2F655.jpeg
    E974A214-5BC0-4676-AC8B-1182D7D2F655.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back