Just bought a Nikon 5000. Now what? lol

Guinness Man

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I bought this new camera today and just started playing around with it.

I have 2 lenses 35-50 and 50-200
f stop ranges from 3.5 - 22

I plan on just playing around with it and reading the manual but I was curious if anyone had any knowledge to it and what some of the benefits are that may not be obvious to the beginner.

I plan on doing portrait/fashion photography. Ive done it before but this is my frist DSLR.

I'm especially interested in a shallow DOF where the background is blurry and I understand f3.5 is good for that.

Thanks for any input

Get understanding exposures by Bryan Peterson. I am new to photography as well and that is the best advice anyone has gave me so far, it is an amazing book.

I'm especially interested in a shallow DOF where the background is blurry and I understand f3.5 is good for that.

Thanks for any input
Yes, but most lenses when used wide open loose a fair amount of focus sharpness. That's why many get a lens(s) that have a maximum aperture of somewhere from f/1.4 to f/1.8. Then they stop the lens down to f/3.5 or smaller to regain the sharpness lost at maximum aperture. Focal length & camera to subject distance also have a big effect on DOF.

I was wondering what brand lenses you got with your new D5000 since Nikon doesn't currently make a 35-50 nor a 50-200. One of the Nikon kits contain the AF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G and an AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G kit lenses.

Read your manual! then read it again there is a lot of info in that baby. You can also pick up understanding exposure. 2 great reads. GL
TJ

take some pics too ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back