What's new

Just bought a Panasonic Lumix FS30 - very disapointed with it.

hellodarren1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone. About 4-5 years a go I got into a bit of amateur photography at college and bought a Canon Powershot A80 and was really pleased with it. I've recently gotten back into the hobby and bought a new up to date camera (Lumix FS30) thinking that after such a long time the newer cameras are bound to be better. I know megapixels isn't the be all, but my canon has 4 megapixels and the Lumix has a whopping 14 megapixels so I was thinking the more up to date Lumix would be a hell of a lot better.

I just got the Lumix today and after taking some quick snaps around the house and outside I'm very disappointed with the results, in fact I would say they are worse than my 5 year old Canon. The noise in particular is atrocious and even with a lot of light streaming through a window the darkness, sharpness and noise is so disappointing.

Before buying it I looked around on various sites which gave it glowing reviews which I cannot understand at all. Was I expecting too much from the Lumix? It was after all only £100. But still to find out that my old Canon seems to be better is quite galling. I can't remember how much my old Canon was, maybe £160? But why isn't the Lumix any better?

Has anybody else got any experience with the Lumix and are you happy with it?
 
I haven't, but I have a friend who swears by them. Have you checked your settings, etc, to make sure that you're shooting in the right mode for the conditions? If the shots are really bad, it would be worth speaking to the shop where you got it, as they do tend to get a good name as a P&S.
 
The settings were on Intelligent Auto mode, which is pretty much all I needed when using my old A80. I've been reading that the sensors on compact digital cameras haven't gotten much better so the larger megapixels don't make much difference. So I've been looking at some other cameras from the same chap I got my camera from, would any of the following be much better?

NIKON COOLPIX L110 - £130
Fuji FinePix S2800 - £145
CANON PowerShot SX130 - £159
PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ35 - £182
 
TBH I'm not up on P&S cameras. Try going into a local Jessops for some advice or look on Which for reviews.
 
Your Canon might have a brighter lens, that makes a huge difference for low light performance.

Also, pretty much every point and shoot has lousy quality outside of base ISO. The best i've seen is the new Olympus ZX-1, Canon S95, and the Panasonic LX5. The Olympus is actually a pretty remarkable point and shoot..
 
The LS/LZ/FS models are the cheaper, budget models. Take a look at dpreview.com to see if they have reviewed the other choices you are considering.
 
Could be that the photographer has got worse, a good tradesman never blames his tools
 
Haha, good point about photographer.

I have a G1 and it's the best I've had.

~ Andrei.
 
..and was persuaded to buy the Lumix G3...

The FS30 point in shoot is not even in the same league as the G3. The G3 is the latest of the M43 from Panasonic... better everything.. larger sensor.

I'm a big fan of Panasonic (G1, TZ5, and LX3) as well as a fan of the Canon Powershot Gs (G1,G2,G3,G5) BUT just like any other brand, you have to choose wisely. IMO, most consumer P&S are all about the same... blah.... Simply put the small sensors are a crutch. I've managed to produce some outstanding results even with the TZ5 but I have to work well within limits and low-light is one situation I avoid with that camera. Megapixels are a marketing snafu... don't judge simply by a number.. do your own research.

Your Canon A80 had a slightly larger sensor AND a slightly faster glass. From an optics standpoint, more zoom range.. the more complex.. and often the worse the results.

You best post a sample for people to understand what you are seeing.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom