just bought Nikon D90 (HELP purchasing - lens & other recommendation??)

This is what i recomend. In Canadian funds

50mm 1.8 ($100.00) or 50mm 1.4 ($389.00)

24 - 70mm 2.8 ($1899.00)

I purchased the 50mm 1.4 and am very happy with the quality and sharpness of this lens. I also purchased the 18-135mm ($200) that was the kit lens for the Nikon D80. Its a good lens and very sharp when you use it at its peak settings.

if you are looking for a "do everything" lens that compliments the D90 i would suggest the nikon 18-200mm VR. its a decent lens with great focal range, and is awesome for walking around and shooting stuff.

from there you can get lenses which are more specific to certain needs, but with 18-200mm you can't really go wrong

if you are looking for a "do everything" lens that compliments the D90 i would suggest the nikon 18-200mm VR. its a decent lens with great focal range, and is awesome for walking around and shooting stuff.

from there you can get lenses which are more specific to certain needs, but with 18-200mm you can't really go wrong

X2

I got my 18-200 as an all-around lens. All of the lenses listed in my signature each has a specific use, so I wanted a diverse lens that I can take places like offroading and not have to worry about switching expensive lenses in poor conditions.

Well portraits is basically the type of photography I was interested in and taking some personal shots for my own collection but thats about it. What are some all around lens?

To be honest I really don't have a price range but I didn't want too spend too much as I am just starting out....I would like to get what could get the job done. I priced the 18-200mm and I was like whoa! lol but if that is the only lens that I could use then I wouldn't have no choice but to get it but I see there are other options, so I'm considering the other options first.

However, if you get the best you can afford now, you come out ahead in the long run.
#1 You won't have to upgrade when you see the results of cheap/slow lenses.
#2 If you do decide you don't want the lens, resale value of the higher end lenses stays....well, HIGH. You don't loose much money selling your top end lenses.

Thank you all for the help and advice....
I think I will look into the 50mm 1.4 and later on get the 18-200mm VR lens.....

Most reactions

Back