Just bought the Rebel XSi...

MrNewMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Finally made the purchase after much research. Love the quality after only some random shots indoors with the built-in Flash. Questions though. I am using the "included in package" EFS 18-55mm IS lens, and am wondering if I should grab a prime lens to help improve the pictures? And is the built-in flash good enough? Or would an external flash benefit me greatly? I know Im just starting out, but if I have the money for it now, would it make sense to get the best while I can?

Thanks, and sorry if any of this sounds stupid, just being as honest as I can.

:)

Hi, I too have the XSI, and love it as well, but the one thing I wish I had of done, was save just a few hundred more dollars, and purchased a really nice lense to go with it. The kit lense get's the job done I suppose, but you can tell the difference just by looking at images posted up here by the more experienced users. It's also been said on here that your better off with an expensive lense, and descent camera, rather than a really expensive camera body with a low-end lense.

Now, I'm by no means a pro, much less, am I very experienced, so take my advice with a large grain of salt, but this does seem to ring true, again, just using this forum as an example. The quality of some of the images posted here is amazing, and when you read the user's equipment list, you'll see the nice glass listed.

So, having said that... if I were in your shoes, and could afford to spend more money on something for my XSI, it most definately would be a better lense, before anything else.

Good luck with your decision making process :)

Hello and congrats on your new camera. Should you buy a prime? Yes, why not, which prime were you thinking of? I can suggest the 50mm 1.8, its around a $100 and a good inexpensive buy. The Large aperture will be a big help over your 18-55. As for the flash, it really depends on you. How envolved in Photography do you plan to get? The external is a Huge advantage over the pop up, so i say yes if you plan on using its advantages....

Basically It all depends on how much money you want too spend and how INTO this hobby you want to get...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back