Just bought Understanding Exposure!

786soul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've read, on these forums, a lot of people recommending this book so I went out tonight and picked it up at a local bookstore!

I'm excited to start reading and hopefully improve my photos. Anyone who's read this book feel free to chime in, is it worth the read? Recommended to someone looking to improve? Did it help you? :mrgreen:

I don't ever really see harm in reading to learn. Take what you read or leave it, at least you learned. I devour all the books on photography I can get and encourage you to, as well. Experiment with what you read, then you tell us! Congrats and best of luck with the new book!

Its a great book for someone who has never learned the first thing about photography.

When I came to this forum, I read a lot about the book here. I have a little bit of experience in photography. I took a class in high school, and when I bought my first SLR, I did a lot of reading on the Internet as a refresher. After coming to this forum, I thought it would be a good idea to buy the book. I was greatly disapointed. If you know the first thing about photograpy, the book is useless.

I don't want to take anything away from Peterson, and I don't want to take away from anyone just getting into photography... it is CERTAINLY a great beginner book.. but that is all it is, a beginner book. If you know what aperture, shutter speed, and ISO is.... you are going to get very little out of it.

Its a great book for someone who has never learned the first thing about photography.

When I came to this forum, I read a lot about the book here. I have a little bit of experience in photography. I took a class in high school, and when I bought my first SLR, I did a lot of reading on the Internet as a refresher. After coming to this forum, I thought it would be a good idea to buy the book. I was greatly disapointed. If you know the first thing about photograpy, the book is useless.

I don't want to take anything away from Peterson, and I don't want to take away from anyone just getting into photography... it is CERTAINLY a great beginner book.. but that is all it is, a beginner book. If you know what aperture, shutter speed, and ISO is.... you are going to get very little out of it.

Good thing I didn't order it then, and am getting it from my local library.

Ive read most of the book. IMO its really not worth buying and reading entirely. Unless you know nothing about photography. Most of it is really good educational material, but mostly for people who have no clue about the basics of photography. There are a few chapters that are really useful. I would recommend just going to the library and reading a few select chapters, or just skim through it. thats what i did.

Thanks for posting about the book. I saw that a new additition just came out and was going to buy it as my library doesn't have any additions of this book. I was hoping it would have been a little more technical and I could get something out of it. I won't waste my money.

I had some experience with photography before reading the book, and bought it after seeing it recommended here. While a lot of it was a bit remedial for me too, there was plenty of useful information in there too. Tips like metering the sky, or general f/numbers for different situations, were helpful to me, even if I already knew the principles behind them.

Hmm! I may just read and return it then haha! Well I'll see, if anything I'll pass it on to a friend; I got it at 50% off so not much harm done to the wallet.

Definitely a 'Beginner' book...I read it after learning a little bit already. However, I thought it really clarified some things--gives you a little different perspective on some, and some great ideas for others. If you don't really "get" the manual settings--it'll help break them down a little bit. I rented it from the library myself...if you don't pay an arm and leg, its worth it--never hurts anything to absorb more knowledge, right?

I think it's an awesome book. I've read it a couple times. I actually sent an email to Bryan and told him how much I enjoyed it and he responded. I thought that was pretty cool.

one of my students recently indicated she had purchased this book and found it helpful. It reinforced what we discussed in class and also had assignments she could follow on her own, along with the ones assigned in class.

This is a great book for beginners. I read it twice and learned something both times. I would never say the book is a waste of money. Even if you are advanced enough to know everything discussed in the book I think you must still admit it is a very good book for its purpose.

Most reactions

Back