Just getting started...

Ronniedee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post. I'm a 35 year-old father with an interest in taking better pictures of my child as he grows up and my trips in the outdoors. I've got a simple point and shoot Canon ELPH SD400. I've taken tons of photos, but I know they could be better.

Outside of a local class, would you have any suggestions on how I can learn to shoot better pictures? Is there a "bible" of basic digital photography? I was looking at Amazon, but I'm afraid of getting a book that assumes I already know the basics of composition, shutter speed, etc. I'd prefer not to spend a ton of money yet.

Eventually, I may upgrade to a nice SLR, but for now, I'd like to focus on the basics with my ELPH.

Thanks!

Learn all you can about shutterspeed, aperture, ISO. Learn how the ability to control light is what will make or break your shots.
What equipment you use will not be that big of a factor, unless you want to do some serious print work. So don't rush yourself on the upgrades. An entry level DSLR is perfect for starting out. you can get a good used one with a decent lens for around $300 dollars

This is the closest you will get to a "bible" regarding picture taking. It's pretty much universally touted as being a "must read" for new photographers.

I own it and the book is very-very good.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237506710&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition): Bryan Peterson: Books[/ame]

Last edited:
I would look into the Scott Kelby Books they are very easy to read and can be followed by a complete beginner.

The digital Photography Book Vol 1 and Vol 2 you could save some money and buy the box set its well worth the money.

Most reactions

Back