Just Got a 430EXII: Now What?

Jeremy Lim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Let's play a game. I've been bouncing light off walls, floors, people, cars, and any other reflective surface I could find.

In one sentence, what are some of your favourite techniques with a mountable flash, either for creative or professional purposes?

My best technique... don't do something just to copy... I learn not to do a task, I learn to understand WHY something works.

To do that you have to learn the basics... I mentioned it before, but www.strobist.com is your best friend... all you have to do is read and practice lighting 101 and 102 to get a good ground game of the basics.

In one sentence, what are some of your favourite techniques with a mountable flash, either for creative or professional purposes?
Get the flash off the camera.

That one sentence can probably improve your (anyone's) photography more than anything else.

Agree about getting it off the camera. Can also make or get some light modifiers on the flash itself, or bouncing off of something else. Foil covered cardboard, white cardboard. If you don't have a willing subject, pick an object with different features and practice shooting it.

Get the flash off the camera.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I just bought a 580EX II a week or so ago (my first strobe!) and picked up a wireless transmitter, a stand, and an umbrella. It's amazing the things you can do with just one light when you free it from the camera..

Go get some foam core or some poster board, or splurge and buy a real reflector!:thumbup:

If your flash unit has that red window in front (Which I know the 430 does) then it can be used wirelessly off camera. You often set your built-in flash as your master and your 430 as the slave. After you figure out how to do that: instant freedom and power!

That depends on a camera. On my Xsi built-in flash can not be a master. you have to splurge for 580 or the transmitter to be on camera :(

Or $30 for a Cactus radio transmitter and receiver and $15 for the hotshoe and cable to connect the 430EX II to the receiver.

No red window is needed. In fact, a used $35 Vivitar 283 off of Ebay works really well.

Or $30 for a Cactus radio transmitter and receiver and $15 for the hotshoe and cable to connect the 430EX II to the receiver.

No red window is needed. In fact, a used $35 Vivitar 283 off of Ebay works really well.

interesting

can you expand on it?

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back